Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

How are the reproduction versions of starters

(1/2) > >>

relex:
Well one of the mounting tabs on my starter is broken.  It could very well be an original but I don't think its worth much with the tab broken.  How are the reproduction versions.  Is it possible or worth it to salvage anything from my original to put on the reproduction?

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: relex on October 17, 2023, 11:00:37 AM ---Well one of the mounting tabs on my starter is broken.  It could very well be an original but I don't think its worth much with the tab broken.  How are the reproduction versions.  Is it possible or worth it to salvage anything from my original to put on the reproduction?

--- End quote ---
Buy a used starter on e-bay and get it rebuilt from a reputable shop (like tell them what you want).
Jim

J_Speegle:
Depending on what year, engine and transmission there are allot of details you would not find on a reproduction. Even the rebuilt or others you will find have often been rebuilt using parts from different applications making them not correct. So finding a good core can be a bit of a challenge at times or you just get lucky. No easy button to push and simply order a nice correct one for your application in all cases. Some (depending on year and type) will have the main body stamped with the engineering number as well as the date so the reproductions will not.

Bossbill:
Why not get another correct starter nose?
The Ford service nose is incorrect, visually. But the correct nose is fairly straightforward to find.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 18, 2023, 10:48:35 AM ---Why not get another correct starter nose?

--- End quote ---

Great suggestion and the most direct if the starter is an original and correct for the make and year

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version