Author Topic: Strut rod bushings  (Read 2916 times)

Online ruppstang

Strut rod bushings
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:56 AM »
Did Ford change to the two piece strut rod bushings in late 68? My build date is 7-16-68 Marty

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Strut rod bushings
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
Marty when you say 2 piece what do you mean, front and rear?

Online ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
The 67 and most 68 I have seen used a steel bushing that passed through both rubber bushings. There is another style that is just two halves that the steel is molded in to the center. The latter is what was on my 7-16-68 HCS. May just be a after market part. I was going to have some 67 washers plated but need the inner steel bushing. When I was asking around for the steel bushing they asked if my car was a early or late 68. I just want to use the right part. Marty

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
As far as I know there is only one 68 bushing kit. There was a multiple application service kit but even that didn't have tube as part of rubber
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »
The rubber with the incorporated steel was an aftermarket part, Agree with Tim never seen a kit with the factory (center sleeve that is pressed over the end washers)  style assy

Good thing it that none of this is seen once the whole assy is in place on the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »
I'll try to find some good steel bushings. Anyone have any to sell? Also were the washers plated with phosphate and oil?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
phosphate and oil
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline cbrown

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Not to get off of his question but, what about 67 washer finish?  I assume same style  where the sleeves slip into each other.

chris

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
Not to get off of his question but, what about 67 washer finish?  I assume same style  where the sleeves slip into each other.

chris
Chris,the 67 /68 ones I have seen seem to have a very light phosphate and oil finish if any a all. It is hard to tell the finish on assemblyline cars in the field. The service kits I have seen appear bare steel. I agree with Tim and Jeff in that I have "never seen a kit with the factory (center sleeve that is pressed over the end washers)  style assy." Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby