Author Topic: Pitman Arm Guide 65 to 73  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Pitman Arm Guide 65 to 73
« on: December 06, 2023, 01:03:00 AM »

Just added another section to the Suspension Guide I have been working on in my spare time.  The full version is on my website - this link here is for just the section on all the different original pitman arms used from 1965 to 1973.  I added notes on correct paint dab colors where I am sure, but others I left blank as I have conflicting data so if someone has information with known original examples let me know and can update.

Link here:
https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/65-to-73-Pitman-Arm.pdf

20210708_183056-002 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Pitman Arm Guide 65 to 73
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 08:51:07 AM »
Another good job on the article.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 05:13:57 PM »
Just added another section to the Suspension Guide I have been working on in my spare time.  The full version is on my website - this link here is for just the section on all the different original pitman arms used from 1965 to 1973.  I added notes on correct paint dab colors where I am sure, but others I left blank as I have conflicting data so if someone has information with known original examples let me know and can update.

Nice job

I've found different paint markings on some parts between originals and service parts this may explain some of the conflicting findings you mention

Example would be "1965/66 eight cylinder Mustang C5ZZ-3590-A".

Have originals (65 in this case that I'm looking at) marked with a white and muddy red/red oxide. While have pictures of service parts marked muddy red/red oxide and light blue

Paint markings may only apply to certain production periods since things can change and processes refined

1965 and 1966 Shelby GT350 only, S1MS-3590-A - Often found with yellow paint on later 66 built units
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 06:55:52 PM »
Thanks Bob....just trying to stay busy. 

Jeff - yes for the C5ZZ-3590-A I have photos of blue paint markings and others have told me white so until I have better will just leave that blank for now. 
And have seen yellow on the 65/66 Shelby arms but that was on restored cars and not original. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 07:46:31 PM »
It's sort of implied, but the Pitman Arm Guide is an addition to a previous suspension article, or is it a separate one? The updates should be compatible.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks Bob....just trying to stay busy. 

Jeff - yes for the C5ZZ-3590-A I have photos of blue paint markings and others have told me white so until I have better will just leave that blank for now. 

None with two marking as I mentioned?  Sounds like you have pictures with partcial markings

And have seen yellow on the 65/66 Shelby arms but that was on restored cars and not original.

Don't save or collect markings from restored cars unless I'm going to use them for examples of what not to do.  Have over ten unrestored examples from about Feb 66 on
Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 10:54:46 PM »
Jim - Yes this is an addition to the Suspension Detailing article I have been working on.  I pulled just those pages here for this posting since nobody wants to search thru 46 pages of content to find whats been added. 

Jeff - this is the photo of an NOS pitman arm I have on what we are talking about.  The sticker covers the paint dab but you can see blue under there.  Not the best example but the only one I have. 

C5ZZ-3590-A color dab by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 05:30:10 AM »
Jeff - this is the photo of an NOS pitman arm I have on what we are talking about.  The sticker covers the paint dab but you can see blue under there.  Not the best example but the only one I have. 

Exactly what I was referring. Under the lower edge and part number it appears you can make out the white paint under the sticker. As mentioned this does not match what has been found on original 65's. Will share a couple of those in a while kind of late  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
Yes this is an addition to the Suspension Detailing article I have been working on.  I pulled just those pages here for this posting since nobody wants to search thru 46 pages of content to find whats been added. 
In that case, due to the document's size, you might consider separating the arm portion, and possible other portions, into separate files.
As the "arm" file started on page 21, it would cause a new reader to wonder where the previous pages were.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 06:43:01 PM »
Here are two May 65 Dearborn examples for the power steering pittman arm marked as described above. A dark muddy red and a white on each. Hope this helps

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 06:45:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 01:13:34 AM »
Thanks Jeff....good data points indeed.  Good reference photos - hard to argue with those. 
Marcus Anghel