Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 Engine Bay Paint Question  (Read 7828 times)

Online G Wood

69 Mach 1 Engine Bay Paint Question
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
I have a question regarding engine bay paint details on my winter blue 69 Dearborn Mach 1.

1) In the cowl area, it is painted flat black. The flat color extends down the side of the cowl to the lower rocker. Is this correct?

2) Is there a recommended red oxide primer to use under the black engine bay paint?

3) Is there a recommended rattle can black and gun paint to use?

4) The bottom of the floor pans are are a gray or dark gray color, do the front frame rails get this color or do they stay red primer?

Thanks in advance.
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mach 1 Engine Bay Paint Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
I have a question regarding engine bay paint details on my winter blue 69 Dearborn Mach 1.

1) In the cowl area, it is painted flat black. The flat color extends down the side of the cowl to the lower rocker. Is this correct?

On the sides of the cowl (covered by the fender)?  Odd and not typical IMHO for that plant and time period

2) Is there a recommended red oxide primer to use under the black engine bay paint?

Many are starting with the typical Ditzler red oxide colored epoxy primer sealer and tinting it slightly. This will be what would have likely been applied to the sheet metal - firewall forward and under the car in the same area.  Of course the panels under the engine compartment semi-gloss black doesn't matter allot and often (near the firewall) received a little or allot of body color

3) Is there a recommended rattle can black and gun paint to use?

I'll leave this to others since what is available, legal and holds up well is really very regional

4) The bottom of the floor pans are are a gray or dark gray color, do the front frame rails get this color or do they stay red primer?

They just overlap each over on the bottom of the frame rail area somewhere around where the bottom (straight down from the face) of the firewall is  most of the time. So from that point backwards - floor color, from that point forward the red oxide on your example

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online G Wood

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff:

If the cowl sides are incorrect (flat black), should they be the color of the car or black to match the inner fenders? Where is the transition to the flat black made?

Also, is there a recommendation for an engine paint brand and color for a Dearborn S code engine? Is the engine painted with the oil pan on and the gasket gets paint as well?

Any information is appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
If the cowl sides are incorrect (flat black), should they be the color of the car or black to match the inner fenders? Where is the transition to the flat black made?

First it was a semi-gloss black though often, originally, on the flatter end of the range ;) Though you will often fine restored cars at the other end of the scale

We didn't discuss if your car is an early or late car so where the engine compartment black stops at the top of the firewall (to cowl) will different based on the build date

You didn't offer exactly when your car was assembled at Dearborn (always helps ;) but here is an example of what I typically find. Hope it shows the area of interest

Mid year cars - Please ignore the orange "F"  not an original paint mark

Also, is there a recommendation for an engine paint brand and color for a Dearborn S code engine? Is the engine painted with the oil pan on and the gasket gets paint as well?

With an S code the engine would have been painted as a unit (if your car got the optional chrome valve covers they would not have been on the engine at time of painting and those gaskets painted silver) so intake, water pump, oil pan were attached to the long block. Exhaust manifolds were on the engine so they would have received a little or alot of overspray. No balancer, dist, coil or bracket, PS or alternator brackets, nor fuel pump at the time things were painted blue. So all those mounting bolts, hardware and gaskets got a coat of paint

Generally people like suggesting the spray gun method of painting the engine since they tend to find it holds up longer. For rattle cans I like the Duplicolor for big blocks and Plasticoat for small blocks.  Don' t have the (for a regular spray gun) PPG code for the Ford blue but remember the hardener and about 10-15% flattener to knock the gloss down a bit.
Jeff Speegle

Online G Wood

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »
Jeff:

I appreciate the information. My car is a January Dearborn car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
Well pretty much perfect then. Pictures are from about beginning of Jan to the end of same month
Jeff Speegle

Online G Wood

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Jeff:

As you can see from the photos from my Mach 1, my cowl top and sides are flat black. I know the car has been repainted. Was this area originally car body color (Winter Blue in my case) and someone repainting sprayed it all flat black. This is why I was refering to flat black in my earlier post and I am still a little confused.

What is the correct color for the cowl top, I see the sides should be body color based on the photos you shared.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
......................Was this area originally car body color (Winter Blue in my case) and someone repainting sprayed it all flat black. This is why I was refering to flat black in my earlier post and I am still a little confused.

Yes it appears that the last one repainting the car applied black to those areas of the car that you can see on the original paint cars (in the pictures I provided) was left body color with no black over the top

What is the correct color for the cowl top, I see the sides should be body color based on the photos you shared.

For your period and plant the engine compartment black normally stops at the firewall to cowl pinch weld (like earlier models) and then a small section at the base of the windshield opening (in semi-gloss black) so that the body color would not show through/around the defroster openings
Jeff Speegle

Online G Wood

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »
Jeff:

Thanks again, do you have a photo of the cowl area with the semi-gloss at the base of the windshield. Looks like I am going to have to recreate that area and I have no reference.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Jeff:

Thanks again, do you have a photo of the cowl area with the semi-gloss at the base of the windshield. Looks like I am going to have to recreate that area and I have no reference.

Will post a couple of pictures when I return from SAAC
Jeff Speegle

Online G Wood

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
Jeff:

Not sure if you re back yet but if you could post the pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
Jeff:

Not sure if you re back yet but if you could post the pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Looked all over and could not find a clear - straight on shot of that area in my pictures. It does appear that some colors were done (in that area) - maybe a darker color thing or just a lazy worker. Do know that the body color does jump out at you if not done -
pointed it out on a candy apple red 69 at one of the last shows.

Here is an example from another point in the production year - different plant

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:23:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Online G Wood

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
Thnaks Jeff, this helps clarify for me.

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
I've got some picture of the upper/side cowl area of my car. It is a 5/12/69 San Jose car.

If they would be of help to you I can post them or e-mail them to you.
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Online G Wood

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
Sluggo:

I'd appreciate any additional help with photos.

Thanks

Garth