Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Date coded gas tank

<< < (5/5)

Bossbill:
The pictures of unrestored is great, but it's when the item is taken apart that you can really see how it was done.
Mine has been apart for too long and I never took pictures of the remaining goop. Never thought it was important. Until now!

Glad you liked my gray scale. I really do like things definitive and not subjective.

CharlesTurner:
The original rope caulk, when exposed to sun/elements, will turn light gray.  Most of the stuff I find on original cars or areas that have not been disassembled before are a very dark gray, almost black.  For the cars where the assembly plant was using an actual gray caulk, it was definitely gray appearing.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: ExportMach on October 17, 2017, 12:56:38 PM ---While resto-modding my 65 coupe I found a box of caulk rope by 3M . . . I believe it is a med. grey.

--- End quote ---

I have only found that style in the old checkerboard 3M boxes.

ruppstang:
I found this unique padding on our SJ 68 HCS gas tank. It appears to be sail panel or kick panel pads and scraps. 

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on November 12, 2017, 11:39:27 AM ---I found this unique padding on our SJ 68 HCS gas tank. It appears to be sail panel or kick panel pads and scraps.

--- End quote ---

Maybe repurposed pads from a large Ford/T-bird trunk. Something that was full lined in the trunk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version