Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Date coded gas tank

<< < (2/5) > >>

J_Speegle:
Though I've only needed the grey when doing a Dearborn another choice is mixing the light grey and black to get the color/tone your looking for then putting the mixture in a piping bag for the application step. Piping bag is the same thing (you can make one) bakers use (come in different sizes) to apply frosting or make eclairs and such

68 S Code:
Jeff its funny but I started working in a bakery at 15 and worked there til graduating from college. Know how to use a bakers bag and know how to make one from paper. Would I get extra points if I made a nice design? So you recommend mixing grey and black sealant and applying the custom color. Now that I think of it wasnt the goop at the trunk the same stuff that was used on the doors to mount the watershields?  The intresting property of that stuffg was that it didn't dry.. Even when the car was 15 years old the stuff still was soft and messy to get off. The new sealant will all cure after a few hours.

Bob Gaines:
I am not quite sure what you are getting at Home depot but would suspect it is not the same product especially after you made a comment about it curing. It is probably more like a product for home use and the like. I wave used a gray Mortar in a tube caulk product around the house from HD that reminded me of the strip caulk in similar texture but would not want to use it because it hardened up like rock in a few hours.  The correct strip caulk will remain plyable for some time ,years maybe . After years of exposure and heat cycling it dose tend to turn hard. It is closer to texture to modeling clay then to a home caulking product .  The door water shield adhesive is a similar color but a different product that spreads thinner and has a more elastic property. Bob

68 S Code:
Bob the mortar caulk you refered to would harden up. I think going with a Urethane based sealant or an Elastomeric is the way to go. Elastomeric sealant stays flexible and will not harden like a rock. I went with a urethane grey and black mix to get it a darker grey than straight out of the tube. Applied it with a bakers bag like Jeff suggested. It's intresting that you mentioned thatthe front fenders were originally set in a grey strip caulk. I've seen some original Dearborn cars built around the build date of my car and feel the color was black.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 68 S Code on July 21, 2011, 11:25:01 PM ---Bob the mortar caulk you refered to would harden up. I think going with a Urethane based sealant or an Elastomeric is the way to go. Elastomeric sealant stays flexible and will not harden like a rock. I went with a urethane grey and black mix to get it a darker grey than straight out of the tube. Applied it with a bakers bag like Jeff suggested. It's intresting that you mentioned thatthe front fenders were originally set in a grey strip caulk. I've seen some original Dearborn cars built around the build date of my car and feel the color was black.

--- End quote ---
First off the gray is a darker gray and as Jeff mentioned earlier we usually use a mixture of the lighter gray that is available and mix with the black to get the darker gray which is prevalent in Dearborn cars if you are trying to mimic the assemblyline. The assemblyline gray strip (medium gray not black) caulk darkens with age and also is known to collect dirt and dust along the way too.  Break a piece off and see what color it is inside ;) Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version