Author Topic: Reinstalling Cowl Panel, Use Foam Support Blocks or Not?  (Read 9822 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Reinstalling Cowl Panel, Use Foam Support Blocks or Not?
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
I'm getting ready to reinstall the cowl panel on my '69 Mach for what is hopefully the last time.  I've seen several original cars, however, that had foam blocks glued to the underside of the cowl.  It looks like these blocks would help support the cowl panel, and possibly insulate it from rattles or squeaks.

My car was already disassembled when I got it, and any evidence of where or what kind of foam (if any, even) was there is long gone.  Should I attempt to fabricate something rather than leaving the cowl unsupported?  Any ideas on what I could possibly use, or even what size it should be?  Also, does location really matter, as I noticed both original cars pictured have the blocks in different places? 

My car is a Metuchen-built Mach 1, built on June 5th, 1969.  Thanks, and here's a few pictures of original cars and what I'm talking about:

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: Reinstalling Cowl Panel, Use Foam Support Blocks or Not?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:24 AM »
We have Never had a 69 or 70 without them.

Location is wherever the assembly line worker chose to glue them down, within the basic area they needed to be mounted.  they are never in exact locations. I have seen them completely sideways. And not always uniform between LH and RH.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:14:45 AM by MagMustangs »
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:55:37 AM »
Often seen and often missing after all these years. May have some in a bag somewhere  - will attempt rto find and measure. Placement (for the ones I've seen) are fairly consistent.

As for what to use , the stuff is pretty dense - there is some white styrofoam stuff I find in shipping at time that would be great ( dense, thick and more flexible than typical styrofoam) Just don't know here to find it :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
Often seen and often missing after all these years. May have some in a bag somewhere  - will attempt rto find and measure. Placement (for the ones I've seen) are fairly consistent.

As for what to use , the stuff is pretty dense - there is some white styrofoam stuff I find in shipping at time that would be great ( dense, thick and more flexible than typical styrofoam) Just don't know here to find it :(

Jeff, if you can provide pictures and measurements I might be able to have these reproduced in black, dense closed cell neoprene rubber.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
My originals measure; Length 3 inches, Width 1 1/2 inches, Height 1 1/8 inches.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
While the 3" X  1 1/2" should be pretty standard - COMPRESSION will change the 'thickness" ranging from 1" to (not compressed 1 1/2").

Compression seems to be "where" they were placed when built at the factory.  Restoration might place in a different location for height adjustment/anti rattle.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
Here is a 69 that was Originally 'Silver Jade' in Color. You can see the Green underneath the Cowl Blocks and these are 'As Installed' by the factory.

The RH is perpendicular to the windshield, while the LH is skewed in a 'Corner to corner' Angle.

I just measured 4 different Original blocks and none have the same measurements after 40+ years.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies and pictures.  I realize the measurements might not be exact after 40+ years, but at least they give me a starting point to go by.  Now, just to find something decent to make the blocks out of...

Offline sah62

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
So what's the consensus on the original thickness?  I can have these made, but I need to confirm the thickness to get quotes from manufacturers.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
Scott

I think an 1 1/4" pad would work -as they aren't placed in an exact place !   With 1 1/4" side to side movement raises the cowl to match fender the closer you get.  (thus the extremely compressed originals found on some cars)

This is one of the few "can put it in the wrong place" items on a car.   It's like body shims of a GM  - some cars need more than others.   

Mark
P.S.  Not seeing it in the assembly manual - but finding them in the majority of cars.  I wonder HOW much has to due if eliminating harmonics (from air into grill vents/wiper operation)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »
So what's the consensus on the original thickness?  I can have these made, but I need to confirm the thickness to get quotes from manufacturers.

Scott, I'd definitely be interested in a set.  How many sets would you need to sell to justify having a run of them made?  I'm sort of surprised that no one has tackled these before.  Maybe most people don't know about them?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:26:49 PM by drummingrocks »

Offline craig429

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 02:55:05 AM »
I would buy a set for my 70
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline sah62

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Scott, I'd definitely be interested in a set.  How many sets would you need to sell to justify having a run of them made?  I'm sort of surprised that no one has tackled these before.  Maybe most people don't know about them?

An item like this usually takes from 25 - 40 items to make it worthwhile.  In the past I've been willing to have them made knowing that I might not cover my costs immediately, but it'll happen in time.  I'll spend some time working with my manufacturers on Friday.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline sah62

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
I can have these blocks/pads made with or without adhesive to stick them in place.  Which option would be more interesting to you?
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
I can have these blocks/pads made with or without adhesive to stick them in place.  Which option would be more interesting to you?

Not sure if they originally had peel and stick on them but think many restorers were like to have it there just to save a step and those picky guys ;) would likely overlook the improvement
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)