Author Topic: '65 Glove box door cable screw at door??  (Read 3033 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Glove box door cable screw at door??
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
What is the correct screw for this location? I just replaced my questionable repro with a quality one from Scott Drake via our friends at Virginia Classic Mustang.
I tried to put the same screw that I removed from the old one into the new one and there doesn't appear to be any thread in the door for a screw.......Thanks!

Offline 66GTCoupe

Re: '65 Glove box door cable screw at door??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:02 PM »
FYI scotts stuff is made by mce twaiwan same peope that make dynacorn, golden legion etc amk would have the correct one

It's a black screw with lock washer
Link below look for glove box

http://amkproducts.com/Ford_Fastener_Kits.asp

Chris
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:01:08 PM by 66GTCoupe »

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
I had the same problem with my repro glove box door.  I'm guessing the hole is just drilled too big during manufacture. I put a little JB Weld in the hole and drilled/threaded the hole for my original screw.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:52:52 AM »
FYI scotts stuff is made by mce twaiwan same peope that make dynacorn, golden legion etc amk would have the correct one

It's a black screw with lock washer
Link below look for glove box

http://amkproducts.com/Ford_Fastener_Kits.asp

Chris

Here we go again.......

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:59:27 AM »
I had the same problem with my repro glove box door.  I'm guessing the hole is just drilled too big during manufacture. I put a little JB Weld in the hole and drilled/threaded the hole for my original screw.

Thanks for your reply. I think the hole on mine is ok, just no threads in it, I was kind of thinking that I might just have the correct screws-(they ARE screws, not bolts) -was thinking may be the screws were self tapping.....??

Anyone have a picture of the screws?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
Guys, let me first clear the air with MY opinion: I sincerily believe that the SCOTT DRAKE reproduction parts are pretty much the best offered as far as an all-out REPRODUCTION part goes. The glove box door supplied to me by Virginia Classic Mustang IS A DRAKE, FORD LICENSED PART and it looks it! the quality is unbelieveable over the other reproduction one I had.

I went to the hardware store and got a self-tapping screw the same size as the correct screw that I have, threaded it in-(it cut threads as it went) and then backed it out, put the correct screw in w/o further problems.
I intend to tell Brant & company about the door I received having no threads-I wonder if mine was a fluke or are they all this way....

Anyway, all is good, car is cleaned & loaded, truck is full of fuel (ouch) lawn mowed, house clean, all that is needed is a quick trip to the grocery store for supplies for the trip to Waldorf!!

See Ya there!!!-Rick

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
Rick,

You are correct.  The Scott Drake brand glove box doors are far superior to the others on the market.  I quickly pulled one from stock and see that it is not tapped for the screw.  There is a possibility that the original doors were made like this and were designed to be used with a self tapping screw.  I will attempt to find out.

Thanks for the feedback.  I will look forward to meeting you this weekend.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
Rick,

You are correct.  The Scott Drake brand glove box doors are far superior to the others on the market.  I quickly pulled one from stock and see that it is not tapped for the screw.  There is a possibility that the original doors were made like this and were designed to be used with a self tapping screw.  I will attempt to find out.

Thanks for the feedback.  I will look forward to meeting you this weekend.

Brant, I enjoyed finally meeting you and Robert this weekend!  my glove box door is really nice!! BUT I'd sure like to know for future reference and other folks reference IF that hole is supoest to be threaded in some way....It was no problem for me to do this with a common hardware store self-tapping screw, it was kind of an unpleasent, unexpected situation that I had to deal with in a hurry in order to get everything done so I could make the show, other than that the door is absolutely TOP NOTCH! Thanks Again!

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Brant, I enjoyed finally meeting you and Robert this weekend!  my glove box door is really nice!! BUT I'd sure like to know for future reference and other folks reference IF that hole is supoest to be threaded in some way....It was no problem for me to do this with a common hardware store self-tapping screw, it was kind of an unpleasent, unexpected situation that I had to deal with in a hurry in order to get everything done so I could make the show, other than that the door is absolutely TOP NOTCH! Thanks Again!
Rick,
It was great meeting you also. 

I did some research, and it appears that the glove box door is designed to use a self-tapping screw and should not be tapped.  Our screw supplied with our glove box cable works, but the glove boxes checked have holes ranging from .135-.140".  It would be better to have a .150" hole, and this change is in the works.  Thank you so much for pointing out this issue.