Author Topic: OK to use NOS upper control arms?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline fast66

OK to use NOS upper control arms?
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:55 AM »
I have a set of NOS upper control arms that I plan on using on a car - tyey are Service parts so they may not be 45+ years old, but I have had them for 25 yers and they looked old when i got them.
The rubber boots have been protected by the plastic cups their entire life, and seem fresh and soft. Would it be OK just to pump in fresh grease and put them on the car and start driving?
thanks,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline agwinged

Re: OK to use NOS upper control arms?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:45 AM »
Your only concern would be if the internal bearings have rust from condensation or lack of being greased over the years.  IF they were stored with grease in them then they should be perfectly fine.  When you grease them up before installation, pay attention to how much grease they take.  They take a little, you are absolutely good to go.  They take a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean there is rust or issues internally, but there could be a chance.  Even then, it would just mean they will wear out sooner.

My vote is the great them up and bolt them on.

Craig

1967 Fastback 390 4spd Ford Executive Fleet Car
1967 GT 390 C6
1967 Convertible 289 C4
1967 Unique Performance Eleanor
1969 GT 500 Convertible 4spd
1970 Mach 1 ARI Pace Car
1970 Mach 1 full tube chassis race car
1971 Boss 351
1971 429CJ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:48:45 AM by agwinged »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
All of the control arms serviced by Ford should have had at least some assembly grease in them, which would protect the ball/bearing surfaces.  Of course, as mentioned, depending how they were stored over the years, moisture could have worked it's way inside and caused some corrosion.  Other than taking the rivets out and inspecting everything, I don't think you'd really know for sure.  If the arms look good and are not rusty, I would say it would be fine to use them.

Now, concerning NOS control arms, there were a few styles that were serviced.  They may or may not be exactly like the original factory parts, just as an FYI.  There are ball joint design differences as well as a couple other details.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
Your only concern would be if the internal bearings have rust from condensation or lack of being greased over the years.  IF they were stored with grease in them then they should be perfectly fine.  When you grease them up before installation, pay attention to how much grease they take.  They take a little, you are absolutely good to go.  They take a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean there is rust or issues internally, but there could be a chance.  Even then, it would just mean they will wear out sooner.

My vote is the great them up and bolt them on.

Craig

1967 Fastback 390 4spd Ford Executive Fleet Car
1967 GT 390 C6
1967 Convertible 289 C4
1967 Unique Performance Eleanor
1969 GT 500 Convertible 4spd
1970 Mach 1 ARI Pace Car
1970 Mach 1 full tube chassis race car
1971 Boss 351
1971 429CJ
You don't want to fill them with grease until they are bolted onto the spindle. There is a very good chance you will over grease them and when they are compressed by bolting them onto the spindle the boot will burst or distort. At the very least you good have a greasey mess at the worst you will burst a boot and have to have another put on and re riveted. Fill them after the compression of the ball joint to the spindle. Then you can watch the rubber sides of the boot bulge slightly as it becomes full. I don't fill until grease oozes out from the sides or ends of the boots like some people because then it is too full.Just my way of doing it. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline orgnl70

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Could you tell me what the part # are. I have NOS upper and lower arms that are service parts.
UCA  D5DZ-3082C = Falcon
LCA  C70Z-3078B = Fairlane
I understand these parts were used on several Ford models but, do not know if they fit a 67 Mustang