Author Topic: Dearborn, July 1965 "Paint OK" stamps??  (Read 9168 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Dearborn, July 1965 "Paint OK" stamps??
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
How much later of a '65 car is there than a scheduled date of July 27th to be considered a "late '65" car?
-Geesh

Jeff, with respect there is plenty of room for the judges to have written "Late '65 cars from Dearborn DON'T use paint stamps" that would have been all I needed to go home and remove the 3 stamps from my car without further question.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
  I Have not seen a paint OK stamp on any late build 65's from Dearborn.I can't say for sure when they stopped using the stamps and moved to the P label.My Aug 64 built Dearborn car dose have paint and final OK paint stamps (diamond shape).

I would like to see any late build Dearborn cars say March 65 or latter with paint stamps.
   Mike
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »

Never seen a cutoff date or VIN-cutoff posted for the Dearborn Baseball Diamond stamps..but I am sure that there is one of course.  Have seen many early '66's at shows with the Diamond stamps as well, but those were most likely restored vehicles.  If someone knows of a "cut-off" date, Please share.. The only pic I have with a date is one with a Aug' 65 dated Dearborn fender. It is an original car. It is a "Final OK" stamp instead of a "Paint OK", but it at least shows that these stamps were factually used up to 8/24/65. 

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/NEFaurora/FINAL%20OK%20stamp/FordFINALOK600Stamp3.jpg

Here are some more stamps...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/NEFaurora/FINAL%20OK%20stamp/fordDearbornpaintokstamp.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/NEFaurora/FINAL%20OK%20stamp/FordFINALOK600Stamp4.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/NEFaurora/FINAL%20OK%20stamp/FordFINALOK600Stamp.jpg

Wish I had more original car pics of these.. The others I have are invalid as they are from "restored" cars.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »

Same pics from above...You just don't have to click on the links above..

1956 Ford Thunderbird Stamps...These were used on 1955-1957 Ford T-Birds. It looks like Dearborn used them for about 10 1/2 years.. on and off Note different #'s for Mustang..Don't know if they were inspector#'s or what...

MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »

You know, Looking again at the 2nd pic of the one with the Red Fender, It looks like a Repro stamp.. The "600" font is not quite right.. Not quite fat enough.  The rest, The ones with the fatter "600" or "603" fonts are fatter, and are originals.  That is what originals look like.

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
It at least shows that these stamps were factually used up to 8/24/65. 
I think it shows they were used around 8/24/64. ;)

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »

Point well taken..

I guess we'll never know...   :P

MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
Point well taken..

I guess we'll never know...   :P

Well....... I guess we can ;)

That one is reported to have been from the passenger side fender of 5F07A270685. At least that is how I have it labeled - one of Mike's cars. There are two other examples of the same inspector on his car that I've got

Your #2 (reddish fender) is indeed an attempt to reproduce the stamp Spacing and as  mentioned, number font are incorrect IMHO

Your #3 I have listed as being described as a Jan 65 Dearborn car by the person that posted it.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
The #4 photo is from my Late JUNE 1966 unrestored coupe.

C5ZZKGT

it comes down to the fact that you or your restorer used a NJ paint inspector stamp on a dearborn car,  so that is incorrect.  No if or buts about it and does warrant a deduction on your judging sheet

i would encourage you to post a image of the stamp on your car, for others to see

Secondly your choose to use a surname on your inspector stamp that is your BARKLEY, whether that is a name used by a inspector at that time is highly debatable and was discussed with all judges at the time.

With regards to some of the deductions on the undercarriage, you lost points for oil leeks on many areas.  Fuel pump, transmission, rear wheel cylinders etc and the undercarriage was lacking detail and dirty in areas.  also from memory we deducted for the third member, not having natural machined surfaces in areas required.

As fred mentioned you to in his return email to yourself after you got you judging sheets backs;
you have a great looking car there........please take these comments as a means to make it even better.......

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 06:43:44 AM »
Phill, I'm trying to take the comments and deductions as a means to make my car even better, but I can't do it w/o help from you guys-you deducted for "incorrect finishes" on the undercarriage, you said nothing to me about my wheel cylinders leaking, as far as I know they are not leaking, and the "oil leaks" you are refering to are not leaks at all, they are still run0off of the stinking gear oil that my restorer elected to rub on all the natural phosphate & oil finishes-I guess that IS my fault for not getting it all off, you said nothing about the undercarriage being dirty or lacking detail-just "incorrect finishes"
Believe me I am interested in going over my car with a fine tooth comb to make it better but I think you guys were off base on some of the deductions.
I am not sore about "dropping" to Silver from a Gold award at Jax, I just need you guys to tell me what was incorrect with the finishes on the undercarriage.
Charles has said that in general judges are able to remember what items they deducted on shortly after the given show, I got my sheets asap, contacted Fred, and he couldn't remember what the deducted 5 points were for, so what do I do now?-I've got no way to "fix" something that I know nothing about.
I happen to disagree with the deduction for the 3rd member detailing, I feel that my restorer did that right, and that I have maintained it just fine. Thanks Again for your time!-Rick

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
i would suggest you take the car to a friendly shop nearby that has a lift you can use for an hour or so. you can then take plenty of pics for us to refresh our memories. then we can go from there.

as for the rear axle (3rd member) i believe i stated the area where the deductions were made in my earlier p.m. the two scalloped areas on the lower sides. the oil that your restorer used for preservation made it seem as if there were massive leaks. i would use sharkhide or boeshield instead of the the oil. it will not leave that greasy look.  i also put my phone number on the judging sheet and specifically asked you to call to discuss any issues you may have. that offer still stands.
the best time for me is in the evenings.......fred
5F09C331248

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
  The Aug 24 dated fender is dffinatlly on my Aug 64 built coupe.
   Mike
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline rodster

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:50 AM »
  I Have not seen a paint OK stamp on any late build 65's from Dearborn.I can't say for sure when they stopped using the stamps and moved to the P label.My Aug 64 built Dearborn car dose have paint and final OK paint stamps (diamond shape).

I would like to see any late build Dearborn cars say March 65 or latter with paint stamps.
   Mike

Mike,
The picture below is from a 65 Dearborn car with a April 19 build date.....100 % sure of that.   ;)   It's later than March 65 but not much later.  ;D

You have some pictures of an ink stamp being used on cars from 65 Dearborn - #778000- and up? Would be interested in know what the cars VIN was. Don't have anything that late in my records

I've found more of  the original ones stamped closer to centered when applied to the drivers side fender. But sure location varied depending on who stamped it most of the time

One example

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A