Author Topic: More '66 Dearborn Sprint markings..June Car This Time  (Read 1561 times)

Offline JKWilson

More '66 Dearborn Sprint markings..June Car This Time
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
In Twilight65's thread on his May '66 Dearborn car I had posted a reference to markings I had found on my coupe's suspension parts. Well I finally have a few shots to share of them. Background on the car is that it is a Sprint with a 200 and C4 automatic, non-a/c, manual steering and a scheduled build date of June 11, 1966, assembled in Dearborn.

While pulling apart the front suspension I located the front spring markings. They consisted of a single pink stripe approximately 3/8" wide running down the coil spring. Note also the color of the spring itself that is often referenced by Charles and Jeff. It is not paint. It  was protected from deterioration by the upper rubber spring cushion. I also thought it was interesting to see how the pink paint had run onto the flat portion of the upper end of the coil.

I also found a wide green stripe painted across the top of each spring perch, underneath the area the shock would sit over. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning finding this before in this location. A stripe was clearly visible in the same location on the perch for both sides. It was about 7/16" in width.

While this car is not being returned to concours condition, I've tried to document all the markings and nuances I've located during it's tear down and rebuilding.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: More '66 Dearborn Sprint markings..June Car This Time
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing your findings and for including all the important information about the specific car they were found on. Now lets see how quickly we find them on some unrelated car :(

Thanks again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

Re: More '66 Dearborn Sprint markings..June Car This Time
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
You're quit welcome Jeff. Sad thing some folks just grab all the details they can find and apply them, whether applicable or not to their specific car. What's worse, I'm sure you'll agree, is the fallacies/myths that sometimes emerge and linger for ever!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD