Author Topic: Transmission oil fill tube color  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Transmission oil fill tube color
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:04 PM »
I saw that the MCA judging rules show that the transmission fill tube should be black and the dip stick natural.  I have cleaned mine up  from a C4 auto and it is a funky green, the dip stick is natural.  I can see the same green paint on the bell housing where the tube bolts on in photos I took of the transmission before restoring it.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Transmission oil fill tube color
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
The tube "bolts on" to the trans?  Guess you might be referring to the retaining bolt that also attaches the trans to the engine near the top end of the tube?

And the same green paint was on the bell housing?

Maybe you can scan and post the picture to see what might be going on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
Correct, it is one of the mounting bolts that secures the top of the tube.  I will post the photo of the transmission and the tube.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
Jeff,

Here are the pictures of the transmission and what I believe is the original fill tube.  The transmission has been verified to be original to the VIN.    You can see in the transmission photo where the tube connects to the transmission mounting bolt a bit of the same green. I have seen online another person with a 69 302 with the same color fill tube.  You can google groovy green mustang, he has a pretty nice site.  He has restored two 69 302's and they both had this color fill tube?

Thank you,

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Carl

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
I'm thinking the tubes were color-coded.  The tubes you're talking about (C-4's) being green, I've seen a couple of original tubes on FMX's that were a light blue (on '70s, so it may have changed year to year), maybe C-6's were black?  I didn't spend a lot of time on the why's, may be worth investigating further.  And no, MCA doesn't always have it right.

Carl

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:06:29 AM »
Yes my transmission is a C4 it didn't appear to have any other color under the green. 

Thank you
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Carl

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
Doing a little quick research, at least one "tranny guy" talks about the dipstick tubes being installed on the line, not at the tranny factor.  That would lend a lot of credence to color coding the tubes.
Further, the early cars had black dipstick tubes, but wasn't there only one automatic tranny in '64-66?  I.e., the C4, which would mean that when bigger trannies arrived on the scene, color coding would be necessary.  A lot of MCA rules were built off of the early cars, so the "tube is black" rule would be correct for early cars.

Regarding C-6's:
"Q. What’s that plastic plug in the oil pan?
A. The plug is installed in the dipstick tube hole at the factory to hold the full load of fluid in the pan. When the dipstick tube is installed on the assembly line the plug is simply knocked down into the pan. You can throw the plug away. "

From a couple of posts, the C-6's used a pale yellow tube, but by '71, it was a paint daud, not the entire tube:
'71 C-^ Tube Marking

From a Mustang Monthly article:
"The dipstick tube on the C6 after 1970 was not completely painted yellow. Instead, Ford used a phosphate coating on the tube and yellow paint daubs. We used 1986 Charcaol Gray F150 trim paint to replicate the look. The dipstick cap and handle were both Bright Silver Cad and had a corresponding yellow daub."

And some more on FMX's:

FMX Tube Color

Finally:

C4's:

C4 Green

Carl

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Dipstick tubes up until 1968 were Black. Starting in 1969 they became Color-Coded.

C4 Green
FMX Light Aqua
69 390-428 C6 Yellow
70 428 C6 Pink
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline Carl

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
Now I see the '70 428 guys getting some ribbing . . .   ::)

Carl

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
Thanks guys for all the helpful info, this clears things up alot and makes total sense.  It would interesting to see if anybody has some photos of the other colors and tranny applications.

Thank you,

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

priceless

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »
I'm thinking the tubes were color-coded.  The tubes you're talking about (C-4's) being green, I've seen a couple of original tubes on FMX's that were a light blue (on '70s, so it may have changed year to year), maybe C-6's were black?  I didn't spend a lot of time on the why's, may be worth investigating further.  And no, MCA doesn't always have it right.

Carl
YES, finally somebody found that the dipstick tubes WERE in fact different colors. My wife has a 69 Mach 1,FMX tranny,351W, thats been in her family, next month, will be 42 years. When we cleaned the parts back in the late 80's, our dipstick tube was....light(baby) blue. Now, fast forward to 2005. I have been told the blue dipstick tube WAS NOT the correct color and that it in fact had to be natural/black or whatever, seems the rules change on a constant basis,say, like every 2-3 years or so. Well, I went ahead and painted it per concours 69-70 rules to keep from getting points deducted since I am going for my grille medallion. I actually painted over the original light blue. I thought about removing the black paint back to the light blue,but I sanded the tube and knew it wouldn't look good.  Now, I wished I would've kept the ORIGINAL color on the dipstick tube  and took the points deduction. By the way, I do have MCA concours judging rule books and judging sheets dating back to the early 90's, of course I haven't got to attend alot of MCA Nationals through the years,But, one can see the changes in the rules over the years. So it goes with MCA......
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:17:29 PM by priceless »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
Interesting that the subject was resurected today. Visited a local shop today and the guys reported that in tearing down a 69 San Jose 302 convertible with a c4 this last week they found a bright green tube as shown below. Just confirming with another example

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:46:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Carl

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
There's so many variations between years, plants, running changes, and operator preferences, that its impossible to have one perfect guide to every detail.  Fitting everything in a 40 page judging "guide" means you're skipping a lot of details, and making generalizations about others.  We're dealing with 40 plus year old cars, that were all built differently.  Each year, we learn more, and if we can nail issues down, the understanding changes.  A while ago, the standard was that the underside was to be red oxide, come to learn that in '70 ('69?), the Dearborn plant used slop paint, and so red primer wasn't correct for those cars.  Hardware differences, paint markings, etc., had a lot of variations, and the only thing we can honestly expect is that as time goes on, we'll find more things that we had wrong.  One issue still out there is the understanding that the convertible pads should all be made of canvas, when in '69 and '70 they went to a short nap carpet kind of material.  Hopefully, over time more judges will learn this detail . . .  If you think that's a small detail, how about what carpet is correct for different '69s and '70s?  (Heel pad, toe pad, nap, stripes, etc.)
Keep the faith, all we're doing is improving our understanding, whether the underside is red oxide or the auto tranny filler tubes are color coded.  And rather than sanding the black off, I gotta say a bead blaster is a real nice tool to have.  :^)

Carl

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
I saw that the MCA judging rules show that the transmission fill tube should be black and the dip stick natural.  I have cleaned mine up  from a C4 auto and it is a funky green, the dip stick is natural.  I can see the same green paint on the bell housing where the tube bolts on in photos I took of the transmission before restoring it.

FYI, the 70 FMX filler tube is light blue. - Dave

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
FYI, the 70 FMX filler tube is light blue. - Dave

Yes, it is very similar to 1969 Code 'E' Exterior Paint, Aztec Aqua
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs