Author Topic: Pony Carburetors Is History?  (Read 15430 times)

Offline flyingfred

Pony Carburetors Is History?
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
One of my customers called me yesterday and told me that Pony Carburetors closed yesterday due to circumstances beyond their control. They are returning his carburetor that he sent into them for restoration. Has anyone else heard anything on this? Another friend told me that Jon had passed away from brain cancer recently.

-Fred-

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Pony Carburetors Is History?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
It is true that Jon passed away, but had not heard the company would be shutting it's doors.  Wonder if the company was sold, seems a waste to just end it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
My thoughts were that if the company was sold, they would not have returned my customers carburetor.

-Fred-

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
It worries me both Mike Ulrey and now Jon died from brain cancer. Hope it isn't the fumes
they inhaled during many years that caused this terrible decease.
Texas Swede

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
It worries me both Mike Ulrey and now Jon died from brain cancer. Hope it isn't the fumes
they inhaled during many years that caused this terrible decease.
Texas Swede
Bo, I had thought the same thing. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
If the fumes are the problem for Jon and Mike, that definitely does not always apply. A friend of mines wife died from brain cancer about 10 years ago and the only fumes that she would have been around were from the horses that she kept.

-Fred-

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
I read on anouther site about Jon's passing a few months ago, and someone there said that he had trained others to carry on in his place, I believe that he knew that sadly his days were numbered and wanted to do all he could to help the Mustang/Ford community before he passed away-this is bad news to hear that Pony has closed up.....

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
I just checked out their site and its up and running, nothing about closing or being sold, also followed their link to their Ebay store and they presently have 10 items listed INCLUDING a "Clone" (I hate the word Clone) 4100 Autolite Hipo carb for nearly $1000.00-it seems their prices have gone up recently-those "clones" used to be around $600-$700 range when I bought mine 3 years ago......I would have thought that if "Pony" had closed up there would have been some notification on their website or the website may have been taken down altogether......

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
I agree that I also would have thought that the website would have something on it as I checked there first. I can probably get a copy of the email from my customer that Pony Carburetors sent to him when they returned his carbureter 2 days ago.

-Fred-

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:54:09 PM »
It wouldn't be a surprise to me that if the leadership was lacking to keep the business going the same lack of attention or leadership would most likely apply to updating or taking down of the company website. The website is probably down the list of priorities for the people involved . It is a shame that the business Jon built can't go on. It will certainly leave a void to be filled now that both Mike Ulrey and Jon are both gone. Too bad Fred can't rebuild carbs  :D .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
I agree. Its hard to believe those folks who MAY be family to Jon are just letting it go, wonder if the business could be bought for a song and moved from New Mexico, I wonder if Kurt Paxel (the ex-Pony employee) who started his own carb business in New York when Jon moved Pony to NM knows about all this, and if he possibly is in a position to buy Pony??

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about Kurt Praxl.
Pony had several capabilities that Kurt doesn't such as cutting new parts with a water-jet.
Surely, Kurt is up on the situation.  We sure need someone do this service.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
I agree that I also would have thought that the website would have something on it as I checked there first. I can probably get a copy of the email from my customer that Pony Carburetors sent to him when they returned his carbureter 2 days ago.

-Fred-

Fred, We believe you as to what your customer is saying, no problem with that. I'm wondering if the Email with the wording you describe was about the carb in question and not the company??

Guys, I'm going to send a pfishing email through their Ebay listing and see if I get a response....

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
Checkout this post by Scott Halseth of National Parts depot on the Hipo forum. What he is saying matches my customers description. He is scott302 there:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37

-Fred-

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
I have to wonder now if "Pony" was in financial trouble long before Jon's death.....someone raised the prices on basicly everything since he died.......I wonder how we can find out exactly what happened? I would have thought that IF business was good, and Jon HAD trained a couple of people to do the carbs like he did then WHY CLOSE THE DOORS??