Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Plenum box resto

(1/9) > >>

68 S Code:
I finally found a decent heater/defroster plenum. The only issue is a small hole the the back side which isn't supposed to be there. Could install it as is because it would be hard to see but wondering is there a way to fix it? I remember reading back in the late eighties that a way to make this sort of cardboard piece to last was to coat it with a few applications of shellac. I would think that this would dramatically change the appearance. Is there a way to clean this material?

J_Speegle:
I recently have been using wood glue rubbed into the surface and allowed to dry. Helps IMHO even out the finish as there are often water stains or just light and dark areas as well as the dusty look they get. If you apply a fair amount of glue it also allows you to manipulate the shape a bit so you can correct some issues if need be

Might have some pictures of this somewhere. Might have taken them in preparation for an article here. Will check

68 S Code:
Pics would help if you run across them. Ill try to post what Im starting with.

cobraboy:
I just restored my heater. What do you guys think of the plenum ?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: cobraboy on December 12, 2011, 11:53:43 AM ---I just restored my heater. What do you guys think of the plenum ?

--- End quote ---
It doesn't look like a similar shade of gray (too light) compared to a cardboard original.It is a substantial difference.  From the corner i see a shine reflection which the cardboard plenum has a flat sheen. Just my thoughts. Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version