Author Topic: Vacuum line routing  (Read 10350 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Vacuum line routing
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
I'm not sure how or which vacuum lines should be restored to their original state.  The attached photos show the thermostat housing and the rear vacuum tree (V.T.)

The following was the current configuration:
Two of the four outlets out of the rear V.T. have rubber plugs.
One of the remaining two runs down to the transmission modulator line.
The other outlet had a short piece of rubber line (3") with a bolt shoved in it.
The vacuum line from the distributor runs directly into the carburetor.
There is a plug in the thermostat housing where I believe the distributor vacuum control valve (D.V.C.) should go.

From research in the Osborn assembly manuals I see that some of these extra ports on the rear V.T. run tilt wheel and headlight doors.  Should the line from the distributor go into the missing D.V.C. and then to carb and back to the rear tree.  I'm unsure because the manual doesn't show exactly my engine setup.  It indicates 302 H.O. not sure what H.O. stands for.

302 2V
A/T - C4
none A/C
power steering

Thank you,
David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Carl

Re: Vacuum line routing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:08 PM »
302 H.O. usually refers to the Boss (302-4V).
As far as the distributor vacuum lines, the hose sets from NPD usually come with a routing drawing, which I don't have for a 302-2V, but I'll see what I can find.
The lines on the vacuum tree I'll work on as well, but if memory serves, they are the same no matter the motor, ut they vary with options.  I remember one bing the source from the fitting on the rear of the manifold, one being the source for the brake booster, another being for the auto trannies.
I don't recognize the block on the rear of the manifold, but I don't think its correct.
On the water neck, the port for the temp switch has a plug in it, plug needs to come out and be replaced by a temp switch.

Carl

P.S. - Here's a source for vacuum drawings:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairguides/VACUUM-DIAGRAMS/VACUUM-DIAGRAMS/_/P-0900c1528027a09c

Scroll down, four variants (I thinkk 37 and 38 are the important ones) as  I believe your car should have the Dist-O-Vac (referred to as "electronic distributor modulator" under the figure.)  Should have a box under the dash on the driver's side, with two metal tubes running along the inside edge of the driver's side valve cover (hint, the figure has the controls on the wrong side of the car.)

Also, Figure 28 has the vacuum tree connections.  Use the color coding against the color coding on the vacuum tree decal for the Mustang, I know, the structure of the tree in the picture is different than a Mustang's.

CHP
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:58:07 PM by Carl »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
I have the Ford tech manuals that show all the vacuum routings. After holiday weekend I'll dig them out and go over it. What accesories do you have? I think you said headlight and tilt source? Is there vac connection at air cleaner?
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Carl

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
Headlight doors were Cougar only in '70, and the vacuum operated tilt went away with the '69s (I never understood why the hose was so marked for '70s, I always assumed it was a leftover.)

Carl

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
I realize cougars have vac headlamps. His original post mentioned them. I thought I'd give him a chance to clarify  ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
If I read your post correctly your asking about a 69 302 2V with automatic and no AC. If so then there was no Dist-O-Vac system so you don't have to worry about those additional lines

Unfortunately the AutoZone diagrams have a 6 cyl diagram labeled as a 302 2V :( (fig 15)

Looking through my stuff I see I have 68 and 70 stuff scanned but not 69 so looked at pictures of cars to see if they would help - not easy as it seems most were ordered with AC

Does your car have a single diaphragm advance (original) or the dual

One thing that appears consistent is the lack of the use of a PVS on this application like 351 2V non AC cars of the  same year

BTW you'll often see what you referred to as the distributor vacuum control valve (D.V.C.) as the PVS (ported vacuum switch)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
I have the schematics but want to confirm its a single diaphram. There is one application that uses a dual with auto

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
Guys,

Sorry I haven't gotten back things have been hectic with the holidays.  The car has a single diaphragm distributor.  There also was a pvc in the passenger valve cover.  The valve covers where not original, they were taken off by my father in law and replaced with chrome ones.  There is a pvc in the chrome one, assuming he just switched it over.

I found this yesterday digging online, but not sure if this correct for my application.
http://www.mustangbarn.com/images/vacs/69%20f27.jpg

I want to thank you guys for helping with this.  This is the last piece of the puzzle and the engine is back together, man I hope it starts!

And yes it is a 302 2V non A/C car
C4 Trans
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »
OK starting at the DVC or PVS.  Bottom nipple/ red stripe to rear vacuum fitting. Middle nipple/green stripe to distributer Top nipple/ yellow stripe to carb. If your air cleaner has a vacuum override there is a blue stripe hose from there to rear vac fitting. Accesories and trans modulator go to rear vac fitting. unused nipples get capped.

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Good deal, is the orientation of the rear vacuum tree critical?  I will post some pictures when I have all the hoses and belts on to get some criticism.  It sounds like such a mean word but how else does one learn.

Thank you again for all the help
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline rayms69

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
High output is what the H.O. stands for
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
Good deal, is the orientation of the rear vacuum tree critical?
If you are standing in front of the car and firewall ia at 12 o'clock, the tree point to about 11:30