Author Topic: Looking some measurements for inner fender aprons.  (Read 10141 times)

Offline stangnet33

Looking some measurements for inner fender aprons.
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Well I'm new to this site and I own a '69 Mach in which I'm starting to get ready to restore it (again). I'm going to be doing all the work myself now that I have my own garage. Long story short I was having a body shop replacing my front aprons until I caught them on how they were going about it. So I pulled the car out of there and its been sitting ever since. Now my brother has finally shamed me into getting going on it. I would like to have some reference measurements for when i put on the new ones (like across at different points). I have nothing from when it was original seeing I wasn't the one doing it then. I have the spec sheet for the framing measurements of a '70 that are floating around out there, but nothing for the aprons. Yes I know that there will be variances from car to car, but I would like a good reference point in which to go by. I hope to have better luck here compared to some other mustang forums which I've had zero responses I'm sure other will find this info usefull also. Here is a pic to go by. I'm hoping that a few people have a project on the go that can help. As for the reference points I'm going by the most inner edge of the larger square holes and for the spring towers ( "D" ) the center of the bolt or hole of the most inner shock bracket. (I hope this thread is in the right section)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:46:19 AM by stangnet33 »

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Looking some measurements for inner fender aprons.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »
I will get my tram gauge out over the weekend and get you the measurements off my 69 mach 1.  The only published measurements from FORD that I have ever came across  is the lower body measurements. I agree this would be helpful to many doing restorations that involve shock tower or apron replacement. The main thing more important than the actual measurement is the vehicle is square and has equal measurements when you cross measure the structure. Another good reference for making sure the shock towers are in the correct place is use a original export brace as it's a one piece heavy gauge steel part and bolts to the cowl and out to the shock towers. If one or both of the shock towers is out of spec. it will not fit, It can be used as a fixture of sorts.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline craig429

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
These measurements would be helpful for me also.  I have a friend with a 69 that has been hit in the front and he is not sure if his is straight.  I can also verify if my 70 is straight.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
I agree with Chris, start with a good straight sub structure.  The frame measurements are in the body assembly manuals.  I was new to this and took the car to a reputable frame shop.  They even gave me a print out of the specs before and after straightening.  My car also had been in a front end accident and was well out of specs. Make sure you tack up and clamp all your apron pieces before welding in place.  Before final welding you will need to hang your doors, fenders, hood, and cowl to see how every thing lines up.  The location of all of these pieces will affect the location of the others.  Being new to this hobby I overlooked this step and had to cut a apron loose at the front radiator support and move it out because my hood wouldn't fit.  Good luck glad your giving it a try yourself it's very rewarding when you can do it on your own.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline stangnet33

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks for quick reply Chris. Your effort is appreciated. Yes I think others with find the gathered info helpful. Thanks Stangly for input.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
Some measurements;  Line E 43" and line F 41 1/4".  That's all I can accurately get to.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
I used my tram gauge to take the upper unibody measurements requested however I did not use the location points exactly as you requested because the correct way these measurements are taken is referencing round holes or bolt locations. I just threaded the fender bolts in all the locations you requested and centered the bolt in the slot (there is a lot of room for adjustment side to side). The car I measured is square and again that is the most important thing as opposed to the actual number when cross measuring. Please DO NOT assume these measurements are exact for every car as on the old cars there was very loose tolerances when it comes to sheet metal panels. I would strongly recommend before you weld anything or assume it's correct, test fit the fenders & hood for alignment. I hope this helps you out and good luck.   CHRIS

A = 46'' 7/8

B = 45''

C = 44''

d = 30'' 9/16

E = 43'' 3/16

F = 41'' 3/14

G = 61'' 9/16  this is a cross measurement and should be equal.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline stangnet33

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
Brian - thanks for getting thing started - the more references from different people the better.

Chris - this is very much appreciated ! Thank-you ! And yes as I stated, that these measurements will vary from car to car especially with older cars as no 2 cars will be identical.

It would be nice if a few others could donate some measurements from their cars to really give an idea of the typical range of measurement.