Author Topic: 69 dash pad  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Stangman68

69 dash pad
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
I know Mustang Monthly has an article on replacing the 69/70 dash pad, BUT - i seem to recall the clock panel (RH) side has two tabs...Most of the time they are broken off....but i thought that the clock panel was attached to the dash pad via these two tabs then placed onto the Metal dash panel in the car.  Mustang Monthly shows the clock panel in place on the Metal dash panel and the pad just fits over the top of it, it doesn't even mention the two tabs???  Anyone know for sure the process of installing a new dash pad???

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: 69 dash pad
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
The best way I have found to install the dash pad is to first install the clock panel out of the car and attaching the hidden screws and the upper mounting screws at the top of the panel. I would also install the wiring pigtails for the clock & lamp before setting it in the car.  The reason why most of the tabs are broken is because people are not aware of those hidden screws behind the panel and they end up breaking the tabs trying to separate the dash pad to the clock panel as opposed to leaving the upper mounting screws attached to the pad and removing the lower screws and lifting it off. It is easier if you have a helper to install the wire plugs for the clock to the main loom before you install it all the way otherwise it can be difficult to plug them in, especially on a a/c car.   CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
I don't believe there's one correct way, but I've had pretty good luck installing the instrument cluster and clock panel first but leaving all the fasteners loose. Then I position the dash pad and start every fastener but again leave them all loose -- tightening them only after I'm satisfied everything is settling in well. The soft pad usually requires a fair amount of coaxing to fit. But I'm usually working solo and as Chris pointed out, without a helper it's hard to connect the map light and glove box wiring with the dash pad installed already. If that's not an issue, I don't see why his method wouldn't work as well.
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
I don't believe there's one correct way, but I've had pretty good luck installing the instrument cluster and clock panel first but leaving all the fasteners loose. Then I position the dash pad and start every fastener but again leave them all loose -- tightening them only after I'm satisfied everything is settling in well. The soft pad usually requires a fair amount of coaxing to fit. But I'm usually working solo and as Chris pointed out, without a helper it's hard to connect the map light and glove box wiring with the dash pad installed already. If that's not an issue, I don't see why his method wouldn't work as well.

+1

I have no air nor helper, so this method works for me also.
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.