Author Topic: '65 horn buttons  (Read 987 times)

Offline MattDoscher

'65 horn buttons
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
I have a '65 coupe w/ a reproduction woodgrain steering wheel.  The 2 copper looking horn buttons behind the steering wheel are not making contact w/ the 2 horn rings mounted on the back side of the steering wheel.  The steering wheel is mounted onto the steering shaft as far as it will go and the steering shaft nut is as tight as I can get it and there is still a noticeable gap btwn the steering wheel and steering column collar.  Because of this gap my horns don't work.  Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?

I attached a picture of what I'm describing.  Don't know if the attachment will work or not.

thanks,

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: '65 horn buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
just went thru this. loosen the 2 bolts holding the column clamp to the dash and slide the column up the needed amount. sometimes the sliding up is a bit tough as the column could be stuck to the rubber bushings. i used a rubber strap wrench to break it free.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:18 PM »
Loosen the clamp that is under the column to the lower edge of the dash and slide the entire steering column tube up. It's very tight so be patient and "tap" the column from the engine compartment by the steerin g box if necessary.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
Thank you Carlite and JWC.  That was a quick fix.  I had no idea that my column had moved that much.  I thought it was a steering wheel issue or something.  My horns work again!

thanks,

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252