Author Topic: '67 Fastback air extractor vent assemblies: gasket to body  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Angela

'67 Fastback air extractor vent assemblies: gasket to body
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Does anyone have a source for the rubber gasket that goes *inside* the car, between the air extractor housing and the sheet metal? The original gasket looks a lot like a door weatherstrip. I'm not finding a source for this gasket. Help appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Angela

Re: '67 Fastback air extractor vent assemblies: gasket to body
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
No one has ever replaced this gasket? :-) Help, please?

I've already checked NPD, Virgina Classic and Mustang's plus, as well as my NOS parts sources.... no luck. :-(

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
According to the 1967 Mustang Body Assembly Manual there is no gasket. However the 66 book shows that strip calk and tape were used. If you have a sample, try Home Depot. If your concern is to prevent leakage, the strip calk would be the best bet.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
There is a gasket there for sure. The original gaskets are still attached to my original drain buckets. I can see the ford PN but I'll need to clean them up a bit to figure out what it says. I can only make out C7Z at the moment. I'll report back once I decipher what it says on the gasket.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I called one of my restoration co-conspirators and he confirmed that there is indeed a gasket there and he did get a replacement, but can't remember where. He also said he might have used a strip of closed cell foam weatherstrip but that was three years ago.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:16 AM »
Well, I was correct to state there IS a gasket at the location in question, but I was WRONG to state it had a Ford PN on it. Sorry! Attached is a picture of the gasket in question. I'm hoping a picture might jog someone's memory concerning where they located new gaskets for their restoration project. :-)

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
Here's another image of the gasket I am looking for, this image from CJ's website which refers to a part sourced from Dynacorn. This response is added merely to provide further evidence that a gasket was originally used by the factory in this location.

I called Dynacorn and the gasket is NOT available separately. :-(

If anyone locates a source for these gaskets, please, please let me know! Thank you.

Offline Angela

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »
Ford part number on the extractor drain bucket housing assemblies (plastic/fiberglass part) is C7ZB-63278B90-C (passenger side) and C7ZB-63278B91-C (driver side)

If anyone is good at working through the master parts and illustration manual, could you let me know if you can find a gasket PN indicated with the above PN assembly?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
According to the 1967 Mustang Body Assembly Manual there is no gasket. However the 66 book shows that strip calk and tape were used. If you have a sample, try Home Depot. If your concern is to prevent leakage, the strip calk would be the best bet.
Jim
I looked again in the Ford Car Parts book, there is no gasket shown in the illustration (Body Ill sec 290.1 pg 8). And the two part numbers you referenced for the drains are shown in the illustration but not listed in the part number section, eg, not serviced.
Jim

Offline Angela

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
Right, the gaskets are glued to the housings and not shown because they are on the opposite side of the drawing which is shown. Agreed?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Ford's drawings usually show the gasket as part of their exploded views with a part number. It's not there. It's also not in the 68 body assembly manual. I don't dispute your having them, it's that there is no documentation supporting them now. A called a friend with a 67 A code Fastback (May 67, San Jose, he found it in a field near Oakland, CA about 10 years ago) and he says that there was no gasket in his and that he used strip calk to put the drain housings in.
Jim

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
I bought another original pair of housings at a swap meet, with the same part numbers on both housings. This additional pair also had gaskets glued to the plastic housings exactly like the pair original to my car. I can post more photos if it would help.

A quick ebay search turns up several original housings; here's a link to one such auction with a photo showing the gasket just like in the photo of my housing which I posted above
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-67-68-FASTBACK-2-2-INTERIOR-QTR-VENT-UNITS-TRIM-PANELS-RH-LH-SET-/200668061904?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb8bfa0d0

I'm 100% confident they used a gasket, I just cannot find anyone selling replacement gaskets. You might be right when you stated that a person has to use rope caulk or some other medium as a replacement. Bummer.