1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 SJ undercoating and paint process

<< < (2/4) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 25, 2009, 10:23:12 AM ---
1. Undercoating applied first, prior to primer (Note that most of my undercoating is still in place and will remain so.  I will only have to replace some pieces that have flaked off)
--- End quote ---

Sound deadener and seam sealer in areas like the trunk and the rear wheel wells were applied (this year and plant) most commonly before the primer was applied

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 25, 2009, 10:23:12 AM ---2. Primer (probably red oxide) applied to the whole vehicle (via a semi-automated system that engulfed the floorpan area.  Is this what caused the large drips?)

Not really, The front clip area (firewall forward approx) were painted by hand (worker applied with spray gun) then the car passed over jets mounted below the rails the car was traveling on. These jets normally stopped applying the primer about 6" before the rear most section of the car was reached since often the rear cross member only received a light amount of overspray

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 25, 2009, 10:23:12 AM ---3. Body color applied including the interior floor pan and trunk area.  Looks like the engine compartment was painted to some degree as I found body color under the black paint below the hinges and on the firewall.  Also found body color on the aprons under the rear inner splash shields after they were removed.  Not sure how far forward body color was applied.  ???
--- End quote ---

The body color was applied first and any applied forward of the firewall would normally be covered (this plant and year) Sometimes it appears that a new or fill in worker would apply paint further forward but this is not typical.

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 25, 2009, 10:23:12 AM ---4. Black paint applied in the engine compartment and inner fenders, although from pictures there would have been some visible red oxide on the shock towers behind the springs.
--- End quote ---

Its a somewhat rare event to find red oxide directly behind th efront spring in the shock towers. More often than not, in my experience this is due to the paint being thinner there and with age an cleaning we often remove the top layer. The leading and rear ward surfaces in the shock tower were often very thin when it came to the application of the red oxide sealer or the black and often we find rust today on these surfaces since workers did not take to time to always fully coat these surfaces

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 25, 2009, 10:23:12 AM ---I would appreciate if anyone can add some details and/or point me in the right direction of any publications that have the gory details I'm looking for.

--- End quote ---

Email me (rather than PM) and I think I can help with this request
--- End quote ---

67gta289:
Thanks to all for the replies.  Jeff - I would email you as you suggested but could only find a link to PM.

I understand the recommendation to refer to the "undercoating" as "sound deadener".  In many areas, when a piece of the sound deadener is chipped off there is nice shiny steel underneath - no primer.  This includes the front wheel well area.  I don't see any evidence that the sound deadener pulled off primer.

John

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 67gta289 on December 27, 2009, 09:05:14 AM ---I understand the recommendation to refer to the "undercoating" as "sound deadener".  In many areas, when a piece of the sound deadener is chipped off there is nice shiny steel underneath - no primer.  This includes the front wheel well area.  I don't see any evidence that the sound deadener pulled off primer.

--- End quote ---

Will follow up.

IF the sound deadener is over the seam sealer when it pulls up as a unit it would only show bare metal in this application

Bossbill:
Note sure where to post this, so feel free to move.

The issue of interior floor color has come up, so here is a pic of my first week of March SJ Shelby. Most of the chassis dates to approximately late January (on average). All indications from a series of other pics that this is a stock interior floor color. Red oxide is visible as a background under this batch color and on the sills.

Other owners painted the floors after this picture was taken with rattle can black.
Oh, the humanity!

As you can tell the interior is black with a Lime Gold exterior.

Of special interest to the sealer geeks is the seat panel and trannie tunnel treatment.

[Click on this pic to be taken to my Flicker account where a subsequent click will enlarge the pic]

Bossbill:
I'm getting close to spraying the interior floor with sealer in the appropriate places.
The PO removed all the sealer everywhere when he "cleaned things up".
So I get to test out the Lord sealer gun that I borrowed from my painter. It appears my painter has every body tool known to man. He also gave me a tube of Wurth sealer as it was getting along in age.

My question is about the paint color in the above photo. We've heard batch paint is just the previous day's exterior paint all thrown into a big pot for use as the next day's interior paint. Is that the case for SJ in May too?
I can think of no other reason for this interior paint color. But how did it end up silver gray? A huge run of silver and white cars in the previous day?
Any opinions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version