Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Phosphating 101 -

<< < (2/26) > >>

jwc66k:
Part three - Hardware Restoration - Preliminary

This applies to nuts, bolts, screws, washers and other small steel parts like clips and brackets. My intent was to do a lot of items with a minimum of hands-on labor as I had 4 Mustangs at the time.
1 I got a five gallon bucket of Mustang parts from an auto dismantler about every other month for the last 20 years. As I empty the bucket, I sort hardware into screws and bolts, nuts and washers, special parts, non-metallic parts and everything else. In this and every following step, if the part is broken, threads damaged, too much corrosion or beyond use – I toss it.
2 Soak all hardware in solvent such as Berrymans B12 for a week. I use coffee cans with holes punched in the bottoms and a small chain as a handle in a paint can, with a lid, with the Berrymans. I also have a 5 gallon metal bucket with Berrymans to strip paint from medium size items. Keep a lid on it.
3 After a week in the solvent and while still in the coffee can, rinse in soapy water, as in a deep sink where the laundry water goes using the laundry water.
4 Empty can on a shop towel and allow to air dry for a couple of days. The items will be dirty but the paint and crud will be soft. Put more hardware in the can and return to the Berrymans.
5 I use a two drum rock tumbler (Thumbler’s Tumblers - got the idea from my Postman) using the metal filings from brake shoes and rotors as a cleaning (abrasive) media, to clean most of the crud and rust off the parts. Your friendly local tire store is the source of the filings. Don’t put wet, moist or damp items in with the metal filings, everything will rust. It takes between two and five days at 24 hours a day to tumble parts clean. A week’s worth of tumbling won’t harm most metal parts. Use a straining screen (TP Tools) to separate the filings and hardware when done. I get about four loads (a months use) then toss the filings. On clips with the plastic/rubber insulation you may have to remove the plastic by hand and then return to the tumbler.
6 Dip tumbled items in kerosene to remove filing dust and to give a protective coating to prevent rust. Do not use paint thinner or gasoline.
7 Allow to air dry for a day or two.
8 Sort into containers for whatever you want to do next, phosphate and oil, paint, clear zinc plate, gold zinc plate or cadmium plate. 
9 An Eastwood Vibratory Tumbler is an asset. I use TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate available from Home Depot) and water with the Eastwood green pyramids.
10 What doesn’t work “well” is a wire wheel. It’s time consuming and will tear up your fingers.

Sources:
 -TP Tools & Equipment www.tptools.com
  Bead blasting cabinets, blasting media, restoration tools, paint
- Eastwood www.eastwood.com
  Bead blasting cabinets, blasting media, restoration tools, paint, vibratory tumblers, chemicals
- Thumbler’s Tumblers http://thumlerstumbler.com/
  Rock tumblers.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on April 24, 2012, 12:15:10 PM ---Good write-up.  The only thing I would add is to make sure the parts are dry before coating in oil or whatever.  I usually blow-dry with compressed air before putting in an oil bucket.  I just use a straight 30W motor oil, new, nothing fancy and soak the parts for 24 hrs.  What's nice about soaking in oil is that it penetrates the phosphate surface.  Once I've gotten all the oil off with paper towels, I let them sit out for a while.  Can wash them with dish-washing detergent, which removes oil from the surface so it doesn't attract dust.

--- End quote ---
I ain't done yet.

jwc66k:
Hardware Preparation - Final - Phosphate and Oil, Zinc Plating, Painting
1 Bead blast everything. Use glass beads. I like TP Scatblast media made from crushed glass. It's more abrasive which saves time. There are other media: round glass beads, walnut shells, plastic, steel grit, aluminum oxide, soda, etc. You need a bead blasting cabinet to do any of this. I got my cabinet from TP Tools over 20 years ago and it shows its age. Eastwood has them as well. Mine is big enough to do 15 inch rims. I tape a 33 gallon black plastic trash bag over the open door to blast sway bars. If you do get a cabinet you must get a vacuum system otherwise you won't be able to see what you are blasting because of the resulting dust and the used media needs to get tossed. Glass beads are not considered a hazard (TP provides info about that) but what you blast off may be. A general use shop vac lasts about a week before the bushings get wore out from the dust so don't bother. A large compressor is needed to provide the air. Mine is a 6hp 33 gallon direct drive Craftsman. It's the third one I've owned and each one was an upgrade to a larger size. I sold the others to grateful neighbors with kid's bicycle tires, soccer balls and footballs to air up. 
2 To hold screws and bolts use plumbers tape. (See picture.) That's the perforated one inch wide metal strip that holds water pipes to floor framing. The large holes will retain 5/16 dia screws, bolts and studs, the smaller hole will hold 1/4 inch dia items. You may have to tap the holes to insert the items. I have about a dozen well used strips about 8 to 10 inches long. Start blasting the head of the bolt/screw first then under the head and star or disc washer. After you bead blast and while still in the cabinet, give each screw a couple of turns inward and that will expose the area covered by the metal strip. Don't forget the bottom end.
3 For 3/8 inch and larger bolts, hold by hand.
4 Use metal shower rings/clips for anything with a hole in it, washers, nuts, clips, springs, etc. Leave them on the rings for phosphating, remove for zinc plating. (See picture.)
5 For smaller parts (like 6-32X3/8 screws), use a homemade container made from metal screen with some heavier mesh backing. It may not last long so be careful. TP has a "Bolt Basket" that works but real small items tend to fly out. For one or two items, try a small electrical alligator clip about two or three inches long. Turn parts around to finish. 
6 For phosphating, do not touch cleaned parts without latex (or other types) gloves.
7 For zinc plating, you can handle everything sparingly. My plater cleans everything I send to him in an acid bath to remove any residual oil like from your hands prior to any other steps.

Sources:
-TP Tools & Equipment www.tptools.com
  Bead blasting cabinets, blasting media, restoration tools, paint
- Eastwood www.eastwood.com
  Bead blasting cabinets, blasting media, restoration tools, paint, vibratory tumblers, chemicals

jwc66k:
Phosphating -
- (finally) -
Procedure 
Note: Don't phosphate anything that is greasy or has not been bead blasted. I've found that bead blasted items can be done a couple of days in advance and still come out OK as long as they are kept dry..
Actual steps: metal blackening (if required); phosphating; rinse; dry; oil.
1 Heat water in a large enough pot to provide more than you need as you may need to top off phosphating pan as the water boils off. My large pan takes 2 1/2 gallons so I heat 3 to 3 1/2 gallons. I usually do this on my kitchen cooktop in a big clean pot. The poacher is about 2 1/4 gallons full.
2 Get all equipment ready: propane tank, propane stove, stainless steel pan for phosphating, stainless steel pan for metal blackening, stainless steel perforated strainers (one for parts from metal blackening to phosphating pan, one for pan to rinse water), stainless hooks, Pyrex glass measuring cup, thermometer, stopwatch, drying towels, rinse water pan and water, drying hooks (coat hangers cut and bent), phosphoric acid concentrate, metal blackening concentrate, oil, oil bath table covered with newspapers, evaporation bucket, baking soda.
3 When the water is hot, pour into phosphating pan on propane stove, light stove, measure phosphoric acid concentrate. I use 1 to 3 ounces of concentrate per gallon of water, usually starting at a small ratio.
4 When the water in the tank is boiling you are ready to "cook" parts. Use the thermometer to verify the temperature. If the temperature drops below 180F, stop and allow to temperature rise to boiling (or at least 200F). This is important. I use a wooden cover on the pan while heating.   
5 Start with items that do not require the blackening step or items that should have a natural steel look. Do items that need to be blackened last. The phosphating tank will become "contaminated" with the blackening solution items if you do them first.
6 Timing:
- Natural looking steel - two to three minutes in the phosphating bath. 
- Large bolts - four to six minutes in the phosphating bath. 
- Small bolts, nuts, washers and screws - one to two minutes in the metal blackening solution and then eight to ten minutes in the phosphating bath. Any more than ten minutes may leave crystals on the items' surface.
- Dip in rinse water for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Air dry until no trace of water is seen.
7 Do small batches, a single item up to maybe 20 screws per batch. The most items I've "cooked" in one afternoon session were about 400, mostly screws, bolts and nuts. Don't touch items with bare hands, use a shop towel or vinyl gloves. Stir items in pan as bubbles will form and stirring will allow bubbles to escape. Large items (hood hinges) need to be turned a couple of times for the same reason. Long items will require a fish poacher and may require lifting out "cooked" end and dipping the other end in swapping ends about every 30 to 45 seconds for three or four minutes to get an even finish.
8 When item have "cooked" for enough time, scoop out and rinse.
9 Place rinsed items on hooks or on drying towels.
10 When items are dry, oil. I found WD-40 works very well. SAE 20 works but can get expensive.
11 When you are done, allow the phosphating bath to cool. Pour leftovers into a HDPE plastic bucket and add a cup of baking soda per gallon. This should neutralize the acid. Allow water to evaporate then scrape out residue or toss the entire bucket.
12 Clean metal blackening pan, phosphating pan and tools in the rinse water. The metal blackening pan will probably turn black but don't be concerned. The grey-white residue in the phosphating pans will come out if lightly bead blasted. Do not use baking soda or laundry soap to clean pans or tools as they might have residual alkali that will slow or stop the acid from working the next time you use them. 

Safety
The acid baths are diluted enough that if you get splashed, soap and water will neutralize them. This does not apply to the concentrates. Use the borax to neutralize spills.
It is hot water, so be careful.
Keep kids and animals away. Wives or girlfriends are encouraged to bring adult beverages while working.
Jim

jwc66k:
Phosphating

Tips and Tricks
I found that small items rolled off the strainer so I put a couple of stainless steel screws and nuts at the handle end to keep them in the strainer.
If I have more small screws or bolts to do, I'll save some phosphating bath in a covered stainless steel sauce pan for use later (like the next day).
Tie rod ends and center links, items with a ball stud. Remove rubber cover from ball stud and clean the item with a solvent. Scrape, dab or whatever you need to do to remove as much grease from the ball stud as possible. Clean with a solvent again and when dry, using Permatex Ultra Blue No Leak Silicone Gasket sealant (the blue stuff), seal the ball stud. Use a lot. Allow sealant to dry at least three weeks. Bead blast item being careful to not disturb sealant. As most of these items are natural and some are longer than the rectangle pan, use the poacher for a short cooking time. Cook, rinse, air dry and oil per steps above. After a couple of days, remove the sealant using a razor blade, wire brush and/or wire wheel. Set the item in the hot sun with ball stud up so heated grease is forced out along with air bubbles. Rotate the ball stud to facilitate bubbles getting out of the gap. What also may come out is rusty crud. Add heavy oil, 20W or 30W, to the gap around the ball stud. When the item cools off at night the oil will be drawn in. Don’t leave the item out in any rain. Do this daily for a couple of weeks until the rusty crud stops coming out. The entire process may take over a month. Remember, a NOS center link is over $100.00 and NOS tie rod ends are over $40.00, if you can find them.
Thanks goes to Rich Ciaffredo, a MCA Gold Card Judge, who got me started phosphating a long time ago, and to Charles Turner, a MCA Gold Card Judge, who gave me some critical tips.
Samples:
1 and 2 - Rear bumper bolts.
3 thru 8 - Fender and other 5/16 bolts
Special tools:
9 - The tumbler with strainer screen.
10 thru 12 - Something I made from a dip basket, funnel and a ABS pipe coupling (it fit, that's why), assembled, and with a blasting nozzle inserted into the funnel. You place small parts in the basket, assemble it and hold it up side down so the glass beads blasting up cleans and gravity returns the parts to the narrow end. After about 3 or 4 minutes check the results. Repeat as necessary. Remember, I was going for m inimum effort on a lot of items.
13 - A TP blast basket in the back, and a basket I made from a small dip basket, tin can and a clamp. I wore it out.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version