Author Topic: Floor drain holes function?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline 66candy

• 66 Mustang Convertible Phote Book Restoration
Floor drain holes function?
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
Can some one explain me the function of the floor drain holes? As far as I know the plugs were installed after the car received its primer but the body wasn't dipped in a primer but sprayed. I searched the internet but can't find a proper answer.....hope you guys can help me....
Erwin, The Netherlands

66 Red Convertible, 289/4V AT/PS/PDB/PT

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Floor drain holes function?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
Good question!  I always thought it was a way for water in the interior to drain out of the car, but with the drain holes covered by the plates...not going to happen.

I'm going out on a limb on this: I suspect some Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models were dipped in a rust-preventative solution, and allowed to drain, and the design was carried over to all models, but the dipping never executed.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »
I'm going out on a limb on this: I suspect some Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models were dipped in a rust-preventative solution, and allowed to drain, and the design was carried over to all models, but the dipping never executed.

+1 From my understanding is was a standard  engineering design simply carried over from the earlier and other models were the bodies were completely dipped.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline benrohlfing

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
What method do you use when installing the metal drain plugs?  Do you use  a sealant or not?  I am doing a 67 Coupe from Metuchen.  Thanks guys.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
What method do you use when installing the metal drain plugs?  Do you use  a sealant or not?  I am doing a 67 Coupe from Metuchen.  Thanks guys.

Black or very dark gray cord sealant around the opening and the plates were retained by two screws. Size and style depends on time period and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline c4az63c

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Could it be that they were locating holes in the welding operation?  The panel would be placed in a fixture and located.  This would insure that the body was in alignment through the weld/build process.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
Could it be that they were locating holes in the welding operation?  The panel would be placed in a fixture and located.  ...............

That is not what we've been told by the people involved with designing them - at least not the "purpose" of them.   Understand that in most cases (Mustangs were the cheap step child of the line along with Falcons) that they needed a place for the paint to exit the interior when the cars were dipped into the large vats of primers. But of course Mustangs, Cougars and Falcons were not built on lines equipped for this step
Jeff Speegle