Author Topic: Plating Services  (Read 6657 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Plating Services
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
With Surtronics, they have 2 pricing categories.  The first is basically small parts like fasteners that they can put in a big barrel bin that turns.  They do as much as will fit in a 5 gallon bucket for around $75.  This is clear zinc or zinc with dichromate.  For cadmium, the price is higher.  The other category is bigger parts, which they call "rack" items.  Not sure how they price them, maybe by size or weight.  If I take just about everything that needs to be re-plated for one car, probably looking at least $500 to have it done (including barrel), maybe closer to $1k by the time it's all said and done.  Big pieces like the rear quarter slides and the bottom support of the door glass add to the cost.

Keep in mind that Ford used zinc plating as a "primer" on quite a few pieces.  If one got crazy and did a bunch of parts in zinc, that would end up costing more too.  I suppose when you compare the cost difference in epoxy primer vs. zinc plating, it might not be that much.  Pieces that I can think of that were zinc plated before paint would be:  shock tower to cowl braces, battery tray, bumper brackets, hood latch support and other big pieces typically painted/dipped.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »
Charles,

Thank you for input I didn't realize there were this many different parts that received plating.  I have learned to identify the phosphating, zinc, and dichromate finishes from cleaning up parts.  Unfortunately I live in the midwest and my car spent most of it's life on salted roads and many of the parts are to bare metal so the history has been erased.  I would be interested to see what the cadmium finish looks like if anybody has a photo handy.

David,

69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Zinc is a shiny silver, cadmium is a soft silver.

Next time you strip something like a cowl to shock tower brace, take note of how the paint comes off right before bare steel.  If the part hasn't been stripped before, you'll normally see a very thin silvery surface right before hitting the bare steel.  I think it was pretty interesting that Ford used this method for priming a lot of parts.  Must have been some calculations to show it was a cost savings over manually painting each piece. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
Cool now that you mention it I have seen that on some pieces I have stripped.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
I sent most of my items to Steve Gregori in California.

http://www.brakeboosters.com/services.htm

It all turned out great. There is another place in CA that can do small cadmium parts.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC