Author Topic: First 65 GT build date  (Read 1483 times)

Offline yelostang

First 65 GT build date
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
Comment came up on another board re date. Apparently, someone put an ad
on eBay advertising a 65 GT with a build date of 2/3/65. Seems a bit early but then ......................  ::)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: First 65 GT build date
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »
2/3/65 would be way too early in my opinion.  Based on my observations, mid to late March '65 was when they first saw production on the assembly line.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mustangmann

Re: First 65 GT build date
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »
Charles and others;

I was looking at Jim Smarts Mustang Production Guide, and there are a couple of GT's listed before early to mid March.  One is listed with no date from the door tag, but is in a group of dates that range from Feb. 3 to Feb. 6, of 1965.  The next closest one listed, has a reported date of Feb. 28, 1965. I realize that the information that Jim has gathered for the book is what other people have submitted.  In other words, we are all at the mercy of the car owners and reporters.  Kind of like looking at the Shelby registry and taking it as the absolute truth before buying one.....can get you in a heap of trouble.  I thought I would post this in hopes of getting others to report actual cars that they have own or seen.  Of course, one would have to be able to tell for certain that the car they are looking at is a factory GT, and not a converted "A" or "K" code Mustang.  I looked at an early GT a couple of years ago, that had been in storage for about 20 years.  The owner is a buyer/seller and had bought the car to "flip".  I was thinking of buying it, but it was too much $$ for me.  It was early enough to have the fog switch under the dash (something that I have seen before) but I failed to get the date code, or door tag info.  I do not consider myself an expert, by any means, but I am fairly certain that it was a factory GT.  I will attend the Portland Swap Meet in April, and if I know the owner, he will have the car there for sale.  Will get the info. then, and post for others.

Ken Mann