Author Topic: 69 hood pin plating?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Wills70

69 hood pin plating?
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
Hi, I am wanting to know the correct finish for the washers and nuts that secure the pin to the radiator support. I believe these to be zinc dichromate
 S-36, but not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated  thanks Will

Offline PerkinsRestoration

Re: 69 hood pin plating?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
clear zinc is typical finish

Offline Wills70

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Thanks, but this was an NOS set I purchased back in the 80s and these washers and nuts had gold finish to them like a real weak zinc dichromate or like a dull gold. I wanted to replate these with the correct finish if possible.  Thanks for the replies     Will

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:06 PM »
Hi, I am wanting to know the correct finish for the washers and nuts that secure the pin to the radiator support. I believe these to be zinc dichromate
 S-36, but not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated  thanks Will
clear zinc is typical finish
Thanks, but this was an NOS set I purchased back in the 80s and these washers and nuts had gold finish to them like a real weak zinc dichromate or like a dull gold. I wanted to replate these with the correct finish if possible.  Thanks for the replies     Will
A very reliable source answered your question .If you already had your opinion formed why did you ask the question?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks, but this was an NOS set I purchased back in the 80s and these washers and nuts had ............

Please understand that NOS parts are often slightly or grossly different from assembly line parts. For this reason most have stopped using them for reference and for restoring cars in many (not all) cases
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)