Author Topic: Feed Cable Replacement For A 65-68 Heater Blower -  (Read 3166 times)

Offline jwc66k

Feed Cable Replacement For A 65-68 Heater Blower -
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
I don't remember if I got the info about the replacement cable from this forum or the HIPO forum but here's what it takes to replace the cable on 65-68 Mustang heater blowers. The wires were showing thru the insulation on mine, so replacement was a good idea.
Take apart the motor. I leave this step up to you.
Carefully remove the field coil from the housing. The armature (the rotating part) can be left or removed, your choice.
Pic 1 - The end markings, note yellow ink. This motor is from a 66 San Jose Mustang with a build date in mid Oct 1965. On a 65 GT San Jose built in late June, the part number stamp on the motor end was in an arch with a 3/4 inch radius but in white. The date codes were the same color as the part number. I guess the part number is 16 point type, the date code is 14 point. They were stamped sloppy.
Pic 2 - The replacement cable from Virginia Classic Mustang (you're welcome Brant, besides I needed the ID tag to focus on.)
Pic 3 - This is what the insulation material looks like after 47 years of in a car. It appears to be paper, most likely with an adhesive backing. Note the "teeth" markings where it was cut off the roll.
Pic 4 - The original connection from the input cable to the armature winding wire was made with a crimp. I used my Dremel tool to cut the crimp off as I wanted the extra length (3/8 inch). It's a bit tight in there.
Pic 5 - (This is a secret method. Don't tell anyone.) I removed the insulation from a blue spade tip lug and then soldered the two wires together. The spade end is convienent to hang on to. The hemostat is a part of my tool box.
Pic 6 - Cut the spade off and trim the end. A ring lug will work just as well.
Pic 7 - Shrink tubing on the brown wire. (Hey, two stage paint and powder coating are accepted now, so shrink tubing has to be OK.)
Pic 8 - Do the steps in pic 4 thru 7 to the yellow wire. DO ONE WIRE AT A TIME, otherwise the motor may rotate backwards if you screw up.
Tomorrow I will bead blast the housing, paint the two ends and reassemble the motor. At that time I'll see if a piece of tape is required to further insulate the two connections internally. New stamps are being considered.
Jim
Addendum:
Instead of bead blasting and risking glass dust getting in the bushings, I used a wire wheel to remove the paint. What I found under the paint was a type of plating that used tin and lead, aka solder. It was an inexpensive surface finish used back in the 60's, soft but effective. I specified that type of finish on metal cans that were soldered shut after the electronics was inserted. I rejected the use of a chemical paint remover as cleaning up its residue might also damage the bushings.
I still have to get to the stamp makers to get stamps made.
Addendum - part 2:
Pic 11 - Here is an example of a semi-circular part number marking. The part number and date code are stamped in white. The date is Dec 2 1965 which makes it a mid 66 build. I do not know what plant installed this motor in a Mustang. Note the "toothed washer like grip" on the shaft. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:04:48 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Feed Cable Replacement For A 65-68 Heater Blower -
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
Looks nice - thanks , will convert and add it to the library next update :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »
Sanity returned to me today, I'm not going to bead blast the motor housing ends as the glass bead dust will get into the bushings. There are other less intrusive methods available.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:21:49 AM »
Sanity returned to me today, I'm not going to bead blast the motor housing ends as the glass bead dust will get into the bushings. There are other less intrusive methods available.

Please change/correct your original post when you figure out the best method when you can.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Please change/correct your original post when you figure out the best method when you can.
Done, 11/2/12
Jim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:06:23 PM by jwc66k »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
Added another picture with a different style of marking, 11/03/12.
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
Another good DIY. Thanks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanks really go to Brant at Virginia Classic Mustang who had the replacement harnesses made.
Jim