Author Topic: Water pump bolts  (Read 1181 times)

Offline 6R07K

Water pump bolts
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
G'day All

Had a mixed collection of bolts for my 1966 May 5th San Jose  k code water pump, so ordered the kit from AMK. The longer bolts seem a good match for my existing ones so it seems the shorter ones are the issue. In the AMK kit the bolt heads have a "E" inside a circle and then 3 dashes at 9, 12 and 3 O'clock. Some of my existing bolt heads have a smaller "E" and the 3 dashes but no circle around the E.

So my question is are my old bolts with the E and dashes correct and I should look at saving what I can or just go with the AMK bolts?
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline jwc66k

Re: Water pump bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »
You have just encountered the biggest problem with AMK hardware, the head markings. Those shorter bolts are functionally correct and probably exact as a service replacement but are not the same a factory originals. The head markings that you are concerned with are grade 5.1 which, for the most part, was not used on 1966 and earlier Mustangs. I think grade 5.1 hardware started to be used in 1967 and on. I am looking at an un-opened AMK hardware kit, F-304, for cast iron water pumps and I see what you're concerned with. For reference, grade 5 was used and the head markings would have a dash at 12, 4 and 8 on the North American round dial (I think down under would be 6, 10 and 2 - ;) .)
I'm still eating breakfast so give me a while to check head marking on my Oct 65 San Jose "K" Fastback.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.