Author Topic: Fastback trunk torsion bar clip?  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Angela

Fastback trunk torsion bar clip?
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
For '67 fastback, is there supposed to be some kind of clip that retains the torsion bar to the passenger side hinge?

I see a clip in the photo of the '66 found at this site: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/623214-67-fastback-trunk-torsion-bar.html

I don't see any clear image of this clip in any '67 manual I own. However, without something to hold the torsion bar on the passenger side hinge, it pops out each time you close the deck lid (don't ask me how I know.... I'm already upset enough given the paint damage).

I'm using the original hinges and torsion bar but either I lost the clip or I don't understand how to retain the bar in the passenger side hinge. I did a little searching but cannot find anyone selling this clip.

Help?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Fastback trunk torsion bar clip?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
That clip is not reproduced for 65/66.  I had to fabricate one from an axle retaining hat (bought at HD) and drilled out the hat.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
Yes round slotted push on clip like 65-66 like shown in these picture

Think the subject (finding the clips) was discussed in a 65-66 thread a while back.  I last found the clips at a local hardware store unfortunately I didn't buy the whole box and the replacements are different
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »
I needed one of these spring nuts (Ford's name) for my 66 Fastback so I went to a Mustang shop and asked. Along with the blank stare from the guy behind the counter, I got permission to go into the yard and look around. I found half of one on the floor of the trunk of a wrecked 65 Fastback, but it had the company's name on the remaining half - Palnut. Palnut is now a part of Tinnerman so I called their office in Ohio, explained my requirement and was told - "We don't have that size and style anymore, but let me send you some samples." Of the several samples they sent, I found one with the correct outside diameter, correct inside diameter and correct thickness. You might try that approach - 3/4 inch OD, 1/4 inch ID, 0.021 inch thick steel with 8 serrations grip. They won't have it but you may get something close. What I wound up with was a spring nut with all the dimensions, but instead of serrations I got a flared grip, sort of what you would get if you drove a tapered shaft in the 1/4 inch hole. I used my Dremel tool and made it look like Ford p/n 380264-S2. After paint you can't tell (fooled Jeff in Concord, CA). Oh, the sales rep I talked with had a 69 Mach I so he was on my side, he even sent the drive tool. I think the part number marked on the envelope may be obsolete and may not be the correct one (they sent several samples), but give it a try - T99220-171-4 and see if they can cross reference it. Phone numbers and e-mail contacts here - http://www.araymondtinnerman.com/en/ If you want to do a search on their website you need an account.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »
...................... I used my Dremel tool and made it look like Ford p/n 380264-S2. After paint you can't tell (fooled Jeff in Concord, CA). .............

Ain't fooling someone if it looks right ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:12:19 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, now about a blower motor how to -
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, now about a blower motor how to -

Will put your new info together and get it back to you for review in the next few days . was kind of busy last week with the Stockton Bankruptcy news - sure you saw it on the local and national news :(  That is the families future and my first focus
Jeff Speegle

Offline roddster

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
If you use a clip meant for the lug nut post to hold the drum on, the "cuts" are too large.  I was told to look at the hardware store for the simlar ones used on wagons (ah, lil red ones) or tricycles and such.  They usually have a drawer fully of these, different sizes.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
If you use a clip meant for the lug nut post to hold the drum on, the "cuts" are too large.  I was told to look at the hardware store for the simlar ones used on wagons (ah, lil red ones) or tricycles and such.  They usually have a drawer fully of these, different sizes.
These are known as axle retainer clips, and are a good functional substitute.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
Here are two pictures of the spring nut in question, the first is from the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners (page 212) for the style, the second was the closest I've been able to find and modify to look correct. Locally, we have one of the better hardware stores around (Orchard Supply, they're willing to go the extra effort) and even their searches have not turned up anything close.
One thing did pop up in my latest go-around with the Tinnerman catalog and I intend to go back to it, the acorn nut, 374073-S8, used on the center lower grill cover on 66 Mustangs. It's shown in the Ford Car Parts ILL 82 page 3.
Jim

Offline Oz390

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:38 AM »
AMK MZS, not "correct", but looks like it would work.  1/2" OD not 3/4, but 1/4" push on... $3 saves your paint while you try to find an orignal.

https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk3.asp?part=B%2D10561

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
Based on the above picture, it appears this clip was painted body color. Is that correct? I don't understand the assembly line process well enough to understand how this clip could have been in place at the time of paint application such that it would have been painted body color. If anyone has some background on this topic, please let me know.

Also, if you have any tips as to how to install this clip, please share. Seems like the appropriately-sized socket and perhaps a pair of channel-locks could be used to force the clip onto the torsion bar?

Once installed, I suspect the clip can only be removed by destroying it (cutting it off)?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
The trunk/deck lid (aka boot lid), along with the bar and assorted fasteners, were painted while mounted on the body.

I've installed as you described, with a socket and pliers taking care not to leave any marks.  Doing this after painting would not work so well.

I have removed with a good quality dental pick, coupled with the old wiggle back and forth method.  Of course if that is done too much it can be weakened to the point where the spring has sprung and is good only perhaps for eye candy. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
Thanks for the information!

One follow-up question, during paint, did they leave the torsion bar bracket (which screws to the underside of the middle of the deck lid) hanging loose or was it tightened to the deck lid? If loose, then I'd say the bracket received paint but the mounting screws would not. If tightened before paint then the screws would have been painted as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
One follow-up question, during paint, did they leave the torsion bar bracket (which screws to the underside of the middle of the deck lid) hanging loose or was it tightened to the deck lid? .........

Everything in place and attached when the car was painted - all three plants

Jeff Speegle