Author Topic: Taking it off and stripping her down  (Read 5390 times)

Offline DM_1964

Re: Taking it off and stripping her down
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »
How would I build up that ridge that runs down the center of the hood? I have a dent puller to pull out as much as possible the small dents but building up the ridge would be more challenging. What is that dark grey coating on the top? Primer? The aircraft stripper doesn't seem to be able to loosen it.  I'm thinking 100/120 grit to strip the rest off. 80 grit would leave too many deep scratches that would then need to be filled.
First off you'd probably want to decide if you're ok to use the hood, if not, start looking for a good 2nd hand or reproduction, or if you are, I'd consult a professional body guy for advice on the shape of the hood regarding the ridge (the repair cost may outweigh the cost of a replacement), if it is workable, keep reapplying the paint-stripper to remove the grey coating (which I assume is bondo), eventually it should soften up and attack it with the plastic scraper, if some still remain light sanding should remove the rest.
That is my opinion anyway but get as much advice as you can, hope it helps...
I'm still a month or two away from entering the body shop, the guy is running behind schedule, but I was kind of expecting it, I've got a small amount of paint stripping left to do and then she's ready...
Goodluck Jeff.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline koski19

Re: Taking it off and stripping her down
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
No date stamp, so I'll assume that it's aftermarket. I posted another inquiry about body prep. Take a look and comment if you like.
Thanks for your input

Jeff