Author Topic: Is 390 Intake Manifold Date Code Correct???  (Read 6004 times)

Offline 69GTconvert

Is 390 Intake Manifold Date Code Correct???
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
I am looking to buy the correct intake manifold for my Mustang (C9ZE-9425-B). I found one for sale for a good price with a date of 9A9 which I believe is January 9, 1969. Would this intake be a date code correct part for my Mustang that was built in Dearborn on April 8th or is the date too far out?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:19:56 AM by 69convert »
George
Georgia

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
390 4V, Close Ratio 4 Speed
Royal Maroon - Black Standard Interior w/ High Back Seats

Offline 69GTconvert

Re: Is 390 Intake Manifold Date Code Correct???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
Can anyone tell me if three months before the actual build date of my Mustang is too far out to be a date code correct part? I'm thinking it's within range but want to make sure before I buy the part.

Thanks.
George
Georgia

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
We would need to know where your car was built since the transport time for a completed motor from the engine plant to Dearborn would be pretty short when compared to the travel time to San Jose.

SInce we don't have allot of real dates for cars documented (can't afford putting marti reports on thousands of cars we don't own)  it might be better to compare the head and block dates since the block we can be pretty certain belongs to a specific car

With that focus, looking at the handful or dates I have to compare looks like same month to two months is more typical between the engine and block with the heads often being cast before the block.

Some Examples

Intake ---------- Block

Dec -------------- Jan
Sept ------------- Nov
Aug -------------- Aug
Mar -------------- Apr
June ------------- June
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
If the intake you found has a large "S" casting mark near the thermostat housing then it's for a 390GT and I would say buy it and keep looking for another "S" intake with a more appropriate date code.
It will not be easy to find the correct intake with a casting date that matches your build date so why do without in the meantime?
Maybe the guys on SCodeMustang.com could help source one for you.
Their focus is very specific.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
 The stamped engine assembly date will be your best source for coming up with a valid workable intake date. Those 390 IP intakes were batch cast like all intakes and I have seen a few with the exact date you have. If you can document a few intakes from say Feb/March then likely it is too early.

The C9ZE intake is not an S style intake, it is a T style intake. No 390 GT engines in 1969 only 390 GT cars
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:39:12 PM by sportyworty »

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Maybe the guys on SCodeMustang.com could help source one for you.
Their focus is very specific.

Thanks 7Lscjracer. I'll jump on their site today and look around.
George
Georgia

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »
We would need to know where your car was built since the transport time for a completed motor from the engine plant to Dearborn would be pretty short when compared to the travel time to San Jose.

SInce we don't have allot of real dates for cars documented (can't afford putting marti reports on thousands of cars we don't own)  it might be better to compare the head and block dates since the block we can be pretty certain belongs to a specific car

With that focus, looking at the handful or dates I have to compare looks like same month to two months is more typical between the engine and block with the heads often being cast before the block.

Some Examples

Intake ---------- Block

Dec -------------- Jan
Sept ------------- Nov
Aug -------------- Aug
Mar -------------- Apr
June ------------- June

Jeff, my Mustang is Dearborn built so it looks like I'll need a date closer to my build date. Thanks for your help.
George
Georgia

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
The stamped engine assembly date will be your best source for coming up with a valid workable intake date. Those 390 IP intakes were batch cast like all intakes and I have seen a few with the exact date you have. If you can document a few intakes from say Feb/March then likely it is too early.

The C9ZE intake is not an S style intake, it is a T style intake. No 390 GT engines in 1969 only 390 GT cars

As always, thanks Kerry. I didn't realize there was a stamped assembly date on my 390. I'm still in the learning phase in regards to date codes. I will take a look this weekend.
George
Georgia

Offline JIMeast

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
The guys on the network54 FE forum might be able to help with date code info and finding one.  Also, never tried, but DSC motorsports offers used 390 GT manifolds for on their web site, Dennis (owner) may be able to find a dated one for you.  Probably pay more for shipping than the manifold (80lb?)

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
The guys on the network54 FE forum might be able to help with date code info and finding one.  Also, never tried, but DSC motorsports offers used 390 GT manifolds for on their web site, Dennis (owner) may be able to find a dated one for you.  Probably pay more for shipping than the manifold (80lb?)

Thanks. I'll try both your suggestions.
George
Georgia

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
If anybody wants a complete 69 390 4-bbl. engine & auto trans I am pulling the setup out of 69 cougar parts car & it was never apart still has heat shield attached. Why so many changes  b etween c9ze 390 intake & 68 & back  S intakes never put them side by side (too heavy)?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:03:20 PM by specialed »

Offline 69GTconvert

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
How about this one? (not mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-390-BIG-BLOCK-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-9C27-C9ZE9425B-4-BARREL-/130899586912?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7a392f60&vxp=mtr

Jim,

Looks like that date code would work as it would be March 27, 1969 and my Mustang was built on April 8. I'll contact the seller. Thanks.
George
Georgia