Author Topic: Build dates within model year  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Rusty

Build dates within model year
« on: April 21, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »
I hear the terms "early built" and "late built" from time to time. Knowing that model year production doesn't match the calendar year (Jan-Dec), was there a specific time period that a given model year was produced? Was it dependant on model year and/or assembly plant? I'm particularly interested in 69 Metuchen cars. My 69 Mach 1 was built 01 Nov 68.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Build dates within model year
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »
Early and Late depends upon the year.  Every year's models had a number of running changes, so the aftermarket folks refer to the proper part being "early" or "late", depending upon the part.  For example, in 1966, the emergency switch system changed about mid-March in 1966.  For 1965, the wiring and heater blower motors changed completely with the introduction of the GT/Pony Interior.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
Early and late are just IMHO general terms to group cars together for a conversation. You may see that a certain detail is an "early" or "late" thing  or that a "late " car normally has certain specific details. But you should be able to see, we at this site tend to move past this those labels and try and focus more on specifics such as when and where the car was built.

BTW the production year is not Jan - Dec but instead  normally Aug - July so your Nov built car would (in general terms) be a mid year car. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »
Very good. Thanks for the info. I know it's not terribly important but it was just one of those things I was curious about. Trying to eduacate myself as much and often as possible.

Hey midlife, I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. I'm working overseas but I'll be home on break soon. I live in Dothan and my girlfriend lives in PC so I'll be down that way alot.
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
Kewl!  Just give a phone call before coming down so I'll know when to be here.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com