Author Topic: New Mustang Owner Needing Guidance  (Read 1454 times)

Offline AmandaRudd

New Mustang Owner Needing Guidance
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Hello All,
I am a first time mustang owner, 1965 straight 6 coupe to be exact, and I am starting the research process.  Research to learn more about my mustang, the mechanical side of mustangs and the restoration side as well!  I have great sounding boards here in Florida but don't want to bug the heck out of them for little things!  The one thing I have quickly found out is that there is more than one way of doing things, The Concours Way and The Other Way.  I am not going to be entering big stakes shows or restoring to "like new" condition.  The mustang was in really good condition when I bought it but there are some things I need to attend to immediately and I have a 5year plan as well.  Immediately I need to fix some of the things the previous owner did incorrectly (trunk weatherstripping, battery cables, grounding cable) and some things that just need to be changed (wipers, radiator hoses, transmission hoses).  I live 5 minutes from Orlando Mustang so they will be conducting a "complete inspection" on my car to let me know every little nook and cranny and what shape it's in.  I was told to look up the "concours specs" on things like the correct wiring layout for the battery cables to ensure I don't repeat any mistakes the previous owner made.  I have purchased the shop manual but that isn't really providing the info I need.  Where do I go to find the Concours Specs as I begin this process???

Offline jwc66k

Re: New Mustang Owner Needing Guidance
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum. There is no single source for concourse grade Mustang info, but there are a lot of books, magazines, manuals and other bits of stuff you can use. I would recommend a subscription to Mustang Monthly www.mustangmonthly.com and then getting a bunch of catalogs from parts suppliers so you can see what is available in the aftermarket for your car. Many advertise in Mustang Monthly. The good news is that parts for 64 thru 66 cars are widely available and not (sometimes) expensive. A 65 Shop Manual should be high on your list, and there are many "how-to" books listed in the parts suppliers catalogs. When you do ask a question about your car on this forum, include the assembly plant (second character in the VIN, Vehicle Identification Number - F = Dearborn, R = San Jose, T = Metuchen, NJ) as it sometimes makes a big difference. And always have fun.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »
If you join the Mustang Club of America (www.mustang.org), you'll have access to the judging sheets for your particular year.  These sheets probably are the best written source for the finish (paint, metal, etc.) for hundreds of parts on your car.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
And seek out a local Mustang club.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
Welcome - as mentioned no short cuts like all the info you need in one book. We'll never get all the details in a book if you consider the differences between the different plants, years, all the possible options (they all effect something else ;) and the amount of detail is always increasing.

IMHO good forum is much better than a book since they provide the latest info and responces receive almost immediate peer review - so welcome to a forum focused on providing you just that.

Remember that every printed piece that you buy or see will include mistakes so double check and ask questions - we would rather help you correct something before the car is all together.

Welcome and remember to include when and where your car was built with every question - it will save us time :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)