Author Topic: Non symmetrical exhaust/ brake line mountings- 68 Dearborn  (Read 545 times)

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
Non symmetrical exhaust/ brake line mountings- 68 Dearborn
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
Hi

Having my 68 Dearborn 289 hardtop almost ready in the bodyshop, I noticed the mountings on the underbody, rear axle area are not symmetrical. On the passenger side, there is one different and mounted slightly above the smaller one on the driver side. Is it correct or am I missing something?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:31:49 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline ruppstang

Re: Non symmetrical exhaust/ brake line mountings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
Your car is a single exhaust car that only used the one on the passenger side. The smaller mount on the drivers side is for the brake line flex hose.

Duel exhaust cars have a sheet metal reinforcement to the rear floor pan with to 3/8 studs sticking out to mount the hangers on.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Non symmetrical exhaust/ brake line mountings- 68 Dearborn
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:30:45 AM »
As Marty posted many things are designed not to be symmetrical though others are. 

Guess you could also take notice of the rear seat belt inner anchor points are angled what would appear to be odd or uneven. Looking at other 68 Dearborn examples the drivers side is not orientated as most typically were. Has the floor been replaced at some point?   

You happened not to include when the car was built. If you had we could look at other cars built around the same time, if available, to see if there were others done that way during that time period. This would help determine if this was by plan/choice or possibly just a mistake.

While we're here did want to mention that you should remove the bracket on the passenger side and the brake line floor retainer in the picture so it does not get painted with the rest of the floor. ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:34:50 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:35:20 AM »
It sure looks as though a Previous Owner had a LEFT side dual exhaust muffler hanging from a pair of Non-Factory holes near the driver's side shock absorber. I do not believe either of those two holes should be there on any "single exhaust" 68 Mustang. The holes look as though they simulated what is seen on the RH factory-looking bracket that is seen in the un-edited image posted.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
Hi, thanks for the hints. The car was built on Dec 1st, 1967
Were the 289 c-code factory single exhaust cars? I was pretty sure only the inline 6 were single.
Don't know about the floor replacement by previous owners, as I bought the car, the floor was already badly rusted, but mostly in the front, not in the rear/ under seat area. As I bought it it also came with the dual exhaust.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:30:43 AM by don.piotrek »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
All C and all A codes, even with GT/GTA option, were single exhaust.

Dual exhaust is one of the more common modifications
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660