Author Topic: did they fill this space?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline LSTCUP

• www.1967mustangcoupe.com
did they fill this space?
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
on my 67 NJ fastback I have a space between my inner fender and the floor, how do I deal with this or do I leave as is?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:41:17 AM by LSTCUP »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: did they fill this space?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »
The factory gap was usually pretty tight there.  It looks like your car might have had some floor work, which would explain the larger gap.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
The factory gap was usually pretty tight there.  It looks like your car might have had some floor work, which would explain the larger gap.

Mine looks similar to what he shows.  You can see by the bends in the frame rail that the gap would have been quit large.  I don't think that gap was sealed in my car but I had a lot of undercoating sprayed all over so it was hard to tell.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »
You can see welding bead (non factory) on the picture of the passenger side frame rail on the inner side. I agree with Charles this section was tight with the floor before they spot welded the two panels together. Never seen sound deadener or sealer on that seam

Here are two pictures (one inner one outer) of another original  67 that has not had any work- Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »
I'm doing my 67 SJ bought in 1980 from the original owner, unmolested (car, not sure about owner...)  I have the same gap (about 1/4" wide) as shown in your picture, and can tell you that mine was filled with sealer/sound deadener from the inner fender area.  Very little of the goo made it into the engine compartment from this gap.  Some pics below.  The pic with the ruler was taken from the outside, the other was taken from the eng compt.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline LSTCUP

• www.1967mustangcoupe.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Thanks guys for the replys, yes this is a new floor, but the inner fender is from the factory, the top photo is the original inner fender taken from the wheel well, it's the inner fender that has a notch, the floor is straight.