Author Topic: ? Painting rear fender ext. 65 San Jose  (Read 1208 times)

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

? Painting rear fender ext. 65 San Jose
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:19:24 PM »
On a late May 65 San Jose car were the rear fender extensions painted on the car or where they on the car when the inside of the truck was painted. If they were on the car what bolts where holding them on when the inside of the trunk was painted.

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:05:19 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: ? Painting rear fender ext.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »
By May the extensions were on the car when the exterior color was applied, then likely removed and reinstalled after the seal was installed. It appears (from the evidence) that black dum-dum was applied to one stud, the extension was pushed on the car (leaving maybe 1/2" of spacing between the quarter panel and the extension) and one nut was installed loosely to keep the extension from falling off.

Hope this helps a picture of what I believe currently took place.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
  I'm trying to get this straight as well, before I paint my 64 1/2 coupe. My car is a June, 64 Dearborn Mustang. It had only one repaint in it's life and that was an Earl Schrieb's? paint job back in the 70's, so I was told. When I disassembled  the car I unfortunately didn't take enough pics but I do have one attached that I can share. My quarter extensions appeared to have been left on as stated.  I'm actually considering just leaving them bolted on, then maybe putting on a few "new" non-oversprayed retaining nuts to make it look correct. I'm not going for Thorough-bred trailored but it's fun trying to figure out the detective work on how it would have originally came from the factory.  ;)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
  I'm trying to get this straight as well, before I paint my 64 1/2 coupe. My car is a June, 64 Dearborn Mustang..................... I'm actually considering just leaving them bolted on, then maybe putting on a few "new" non-oversprayed retaining nuts to make it look correct. ..........

If you bolt the extensions on you can fill up the gap between them and the quarter panels with paint, clear or other products then it will produce a crak or peeling when you move the extension later. Also if you bolt them on using another bolt and washer you'll need to consider the size so that later you don't have a paint shadow around the sutd that will be seen.

Not all periods of 65 production did Dearborn leave the extensions on when the exterior color was applied but on those cars the were not placed in the trunk to get painted. More likely IMHO they were with the small parts (headlight buckets, fenders, hood.......) being painted elsewhere
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

Re: ? Painting rear fender ext. 65 San Jose
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:22 PM »
Jeff,

I think I got the idea how they did it.  Thank you for the reply and information.

Dave