Author Topic: correct fastener finish  (Read 3461 times)

Offline original68

correct fastener finish
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
hello what is the correct finish for the bolts that attach the steering box to the frame.  power steering ram bracket to frame and idler arm to frame. on a 1968 san jose car. mine are corroded and cant make out the correct finish. i was hoping for zinc phosphate as i bought the liquid to replicate the finish. if they are the natural steel color is the best option to spray paint them.  i was hoping to keep the original fasteners and restore them..  thanks for all the help

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: correct fastener finish
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
hello what is the correct finish for the bolts that attach the steering box to the frame.  power steering ram bracket to frame and idler arm to frame. on a 1968 san jose car. mine are corroded and cant make out the correct finish. i was hoping for zinc phosphate as i bought the liquid to replicate the finish. if they are the natural steel color is the best option to spray paint them.  i was hoping to keep the original fasteners and restore them..  thanks for all the help
Zinc phosphate they are. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline original68

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »
Thanks much

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
Over the phosphate they were dyed (as a safety item to catch the workers eye and attention) red.

I use machinist dye for the purpose

Your idler arm and nuts are treated and finished the same way ;)

The look of the finished part is dependent on the plating or coating applied to the piece before the dye

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline original68

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »
thanks jeff

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 11:40:38 PM »
Jeff, were the whole bolts for the steering box dyed red ? Not safety items but what should the D washer and lock washer be P+O ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 12:13:01 AM »
Jeff, were the whole bolts for the steering box dyed red ? Not safety items but what should the D washer and lock washer be P+O ?

On a 68 I've seen the complete bolt dyed - Hidden/protected area inside the frame rail with the dye still present. The washer and lock washer would just be the dark finish such as P & O  without the dye
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)