Author Topic: 69 Boss 302 Reassembly  (Read 5074 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 Boss 302 Reassembly
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
As mentioned in the 69 Boss 302 Disassembly thread this is not going to be a full concours restoration but a driver build though I can't seem to not add a few details when I get the chance ;)   As a reminded this is a late April build car that had 32K miles when I purchased it though it had been repainted and was mostly (except suspension apart).

Engine compartment has been resprayed and the wheelwells freshened as well as front suspension re detailed.

Getting ready to paint the engine - so I choose to take the time to make a few masks to block the paint from where it shouldn't go in an effort to reproduce the look and feel of what was originally done. I'm sure the factory tools looked nothing like this but its going to be interesting to see how it all turns out

Back side of parts have been dusted with paint as well as the surfaces below the exhaust manifolds to reduce the chance of rust on those surfaces not covered by the engine color that will be applied. Exhaust manifolds will get a fair amount of paint like the other (original) small block examples we've shown on this site.  Can't seem to find anything to suggest that spark plugs were in place nor shadows to support that idea either.  Need to still cover the water pump flange - likely a simple spray can lid will work fine

I used a plastic sheet material that stretches fairly well (once heated) and is fairly pliable to mold around the surfaces. Made an attempt at vacuum forming the intake first but that didn't go as planned :( Had to do a few repairs in areas where I tore or burnt through. Small defects were filled with epoxy

And yes I know its not strictly stock on the inside of the motor - completely :)

Intake, PVS, fuel pump face and upper radiator attachment point.

PVS, fuel pump face and upper radiator attachment point.

Lower radiator hose attachment point

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:58:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
Re: 69 Boss 302 Reassembly
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
Jeff Looking good.

Are those Roller Rockers the  Comp cam pro magnums? That is what I have in my 70B2, along with a few other goodies inside to make it stronger.
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:33:18 AM »
Jeff Looking good.

Are those Roller Rockers the  Comp cam pro magnums? That is what I have in my 70B2, along with a few other goodies inside to make it stronger.

Have to see if I can find my receipts. This is the first engine I've sent out to have built (sleeved back to standard to save the original block) so don't recall all the internal details
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
Finally engines painted will finish reassembly and detailing it next week. PPG/Ditzler paint, reducer, hardener and 20% flattener

Will see how well the plastic masks worked out next week when I pull them off ;)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:33:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
Taking all too long to get back together - sound familiar??

In any case getting closer to sticking it back into place.

Its all those specific fasteners, finishes and choice (remember its not going to be a restoration) Bypass can finish is old - but will wait to redye one until I find a better date on one. Love the cheap chrome job (thin and multi shaded) on the valve covers but it peeled in one little area :( More paint marks and such to come .......... on and on

Would have liked to have all the little details done and completed so I could take a bunch of good pictures with the engine out of the car but getting tired of waiting for everything to get here so think its going to get installed before completely decked out :(

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:18:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »
Its in  8)

TAKE NOTE _ Follow up a number of years later- the alternator pulley may not be correct for a Boss 302 built when this one was. More details information will be documented and posted in another thread about the subject on this site. Always learning

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:35:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:05 PM »
Trans is cleaned, checked and detailed - ready to go back in.. Well sort of , need to swap out the short arms and rods for the correct ones :(

Got to love those lower shift boots. Once you mess with one you understand why owners and shops in the past forgot to put them back on when work was done

RUG-AG   Close ratio. Can decide if I want to put the 3.91's back in the car - if so I'll have to removed the tail shaft and replace the speedo gear since the car was made after they stopped using the speedo reducer and before they started using them again

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:56 PM »
Few more parts installed :)

Found this about a year ago after looking for many years. Never realized the Boss didn't have a am radio originally till Kevin Marti got access to the Ford database. Never could hear that radio anyway 

Original exhaust was long gone and I installed what was the best reproduction back when the car was put back together in the early 90's. Since its sort of apart figured it was tile to install the right exhaust - not much of a choice so I called Scott Fuller and got him to ship a system to me. About an hour and half after it was in and done. OF course not doing it the easy way (what else is new for me)  on jack stands and by myself but its done

Now to fire the engine up and just listen :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dads Boss

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »
Looking Great Jeff