Author Topic: '65 High Profile Rally Pac with "Chromed" eyebrows question.  (Read 1560 times)

Offline NEFaurora

'65 High Profile Rally Pac with "Chromed" eyebrows question.
« on: November 08, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »

Subject: '65 High-Profile Rally Pac with "Chromed" eyebrows question.

Ok, This question is now floating around on the "other" forum...  and I'd like to get all of your takes on this here..

There is debate as to whether the 1965 High-Profile Rally-Pac ever came new (in the box NOS, or as Delivered NEW in a car) with the fully "Chromed" eyebrows.

People now (today) are saying that other People in the past have just taken fully Black '65 High-Profile Rally Pacs years ago and just scratched all of the paint off to create a fully "Chromed" eyebrow version.

Over 25+ years, I have gone to shows and swap meets and seen a few examples in NOS boxes with the "Chromed" eyebrows as new on the Rally Pac.  I have also seen a lot or original low mile example Falcons and Mustangs years ago with the '65 High-Profile Rally pacs with the "chromed" eybrows version.

I am not buying it... But now there is so much conversation about it now, I do not know what to believe anymore.

Maybe Jeff, and Charles, and both Bob's can chime in on this one.  Please settle this.....!

What is the truth?  Are all these original '65 High-Profile Rally Pacs with "Chromed" eyebrows just Black originals with the paint scratched off????  Or did the eyebrows really come chromed when new?

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '65 High Profile Rally Pac with "Chromed" eyebrows question.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
I saw the thread on the other forum, and I've been wondering what the definitive answer is on this as well.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »
If the crinkle paint was removed from the front chrome eyebrows, it was done by a shop or previous owner.  Plenty of examples of NOS, original and NOS tach/clock individual packaging that came with crinkle on the top and sides.  Only the inside would have chrome showing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Jays66gt

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
If the crinkle paint was removed from the front chrome eyebrows, it was done by a shop or previous owner.  Plenty of examples of NOS, original and NOS tach/clock individual packaging that came with crinkle on the top and sides.  Only the inside would have chrome showing.

So if I read you right, the whole eyebrow was chromed.  Then the crinkle paint was applied.  So while the eyebrow is not technically correct for point scoring, it could still be a factory / dealer installed rally pac that has simply been modified / changed.
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Yes, the eyebrow portion of the rally-pac, the part that the tach and clock attach to was originally all chrome.  They were masked and sprayed with crinkle paint on the outer areas.  Only the inside would be unpainted, chrome finish.

Yes, agree that the only way for them to be all chrome is they have been modified by someone.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin