Author Topic: Which A/C Compressor  (Read 4616 times)

Offline MWM

Which A/C Compressor
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Good Evening,
I am looking for an original compressor for my car. However I need to know what is correct for a May 1965 San Jose fastback? Would it be cast iron, aluminum, York or Tecumseh?
Thanks!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Which A/C Compressor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »
Cast iron Tecumseh was the most common for 65-66.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
Cast iron Tecumseh was the most common for 65-66.

+1 for factory installation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
+1 for factory installation

+2 regarding cast iron Tecumseh - Also bare in mind that the clutch used on the A/C compressors in '65 and '66 are unique to those two model years.  The '67 and later clutch will work but it looks noticeably different.  In addition, it is impossible to find a remanufactured '65 / '66 clutch.  Supplier like Classic Auto Air just don't have any old '65 / '66 units to refurbish anymore.  So if you're looking for a A/C compressor make sure it comes with a serviceable or at least re-buildable clutch.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »
I am reasonably sure I have a couple of the compressors with the clutch on them.
If you are in need of one let me know

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Is your Fastback an 8 or 6-Cylinder?
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
V8 used a single belt groove clutch,
6 cyl used a two belt groove clutch.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
Looks like Bob may be able to help you; if not, I regularly see listings on eBay for both the single and double groove pulleys...either sold separately or with the compressor. I just purchased a NOS double groove for my 6-Cylinder on eBay; that's somewhat rare but good used ones shouldn't be difficult to locate.

Best of luck.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
+2 regarding cast iron Tecumseh - Also bare in mind that the clutch used on the A/C compressors in '65 and '66 are unique to those two model years.  The '67 and later clutch will work but it looks noticeably different.  In addition, it is impossible to find a remanufactured '65 / '66 clutch.  Supplier like Classic Auto Air just don't have any old '65 / '66 units to refurbish anymore.  So if you're looking for a A/C compressor make sure it comes with a serviceable or at least re-buildable clutch.

Regards,

Ron
I am curious about the unique 65/66 clutches. I am not very familiar with 65/66 a/c clutches I and am curious in what way they are different then the later styles. I am familiar with the brush type and the electro magnet type which both types were used in65/66 as well as later years. Those two types have different engineering numbers on them compared to the later versions is. Is there a difference in that brush /electro magnet aspect or is there a difference in groove portion when compared to a later model ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
I am curious about the unique 65/66 clutches. I am not very familiar with 65/66 a/c clutches I and am curious in what way they are different then the later styles. I am familiar with the brush type and the electro magnet type which both types were used in65/66 as well as later years. Those two types have different engineering numbers on them compared to the later versions is. Is there a difference in that brush /electro magnet aspect or is there a difference in groove portion when compared to a later model ?

Hi Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, mechanically, the clutches are the same in that they both rely on brushes to deliver the electric charge, a field coil and the electro-magnet clutch to engage the compressor.  The difference lies in the design of the pulley and fly-wheel between the '65 / '66 clutches and the '67 and later clutches. 

The earlier '65 / '66 style uses a larger flywheel and pulley assembly whereby the clutch itself is recessed within the lip of the flywheel and pulley to protect the outer face of the clutch from being inadvertently damaged.  The '67 and later clutches utilize a redesigned flywheel and pulley whereby the clutch face protrudes slightly in front of the pulley.  This design is more similar to GM applications of the Tecumseh A/C compressor and clutch.  I've attached a few pictures to illustrate the differences. 

You use both styles of clutches however the later style does look visibly different than the earlier '65 / '65 style.  Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ron

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:33:26 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »
Hi Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, mechanically, the clutches are the same in that they both rely on brushes to deliver the electric charge, a field coil and the electro-magnet clutch to engage the compressor.  The difference lies in the design of the pulley and fly-wheel between the '65 / '66 clutches and the '67 and later clutches. 

The earlier '65 / '66 style uses a larger flywheel and pulley assembly whereby the clutch itself is recessed within the lip of the flywheel and pulley to protect the outer face of the clutch from being inadvertently damaged.  The '67 and later clutches utilize a redesigned flywheel and pulley whereby the clutch face protrudes slightly in front of the pulley.  This design is more similar to GM applications of the Tecumseh A/C compressor and clutch.  I've attached a few pictures to illustrate the differences. 

You use both styles of clutches however the later style does look visibly different than the earlier '65 / '65 style.  Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ron
Your picture helps illustrates. Thanks
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
Be aware there are two different Eaton styles and diameters in 65/66 too.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have the 65 clutch pictured and have removed the center bolt but how do I remove the clutch? Do I use a puller or is there another method as I noticed a large internal thread in the center of the pulley (Not the bolt thread) once I removed the bolt and washer. (Thread in question is approximately the diameter of the washer). I want to get at the bushes and repaint the compressor. Semi Gloss black?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 11:08:13 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have the 65 clutch pictured and have removed the center bolt but how do I remove the clutch? Do I use a puller or is there another method as I noticed a large internal thread in the center of the pulley (Not the bolt thread) once I removed the bolt and washer. (Thread in question is approximately the diameter of the washer). I want to get at the bushes and repaint the compressor. Semi Gloss black?
After the bolt is taken off the clutch should come loose (in a perfect world) . Sometimes a stubborn clutch can be persuaded loose with a rubber or wooden mallet (NOT A HAMMER). Work one side then the other. Usually a couple good whacks and it will come loose. The rubber or wooden mallet will not mar the steel clutch surface . If that doesn't work you can use a puller (like a pitman arm puller etc.).   

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
After the bolt is taken off the clutch should come loose (in a perfect world) . Sometimes a stubborn clutch can be persuaded loose with a rubber or wooden mallet (NOT A HAMMER). Work one side then the other. Usually a couple good whacks and it will come loose. The rubber or wooden mallet will not mar the steel clutch surface . If that doesn't work you can use a puller (like a pitman arm puller etc.).

+1 mine came loose after a few hits with my persuasion tool (rubber mallet).  Original clutch as well as it was date coded for the car
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:37:37 PM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe