Author Topic: Replacing suspension for 65 V8  (Read 4769 times)

Offline Chris

Replacing suspension for 65 V8
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »
My 64 1/2 is sqweeking all the time and my car "jumps" when I hit the smallest bump. I've had the car for 5 years and want to restore the front and rear suspension as close to original as possible, does not have to be NOS as long as the parts are the same as original.

What can be bought in a kit and what should be bought specific to the car? I've read that springs should be ordered based on engine type and accessories installed, so for my car thatis a 260 with a/c and power steering, I should order springs specific to this, correct? Any other suspension parts that are specific based on the car like springs?

I would appreciate any information on original-type kits and who to get them from.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline jwc66k

Re: Replacing suspension for 65 V8
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
I haven't found a kit that looks original or preforms as well as an original. I have had good luck with Moog components, tie rod ends, upper ball joints, upper A-arm shaft, etc, but you will be hard pressed to find lower arm bushings or lower ball joints. For lower control arms and spring saddles, there are good reproductions. Be aware that some upper ball joint replacements have a Zerk fitting that comes out on the bottom side vs the top.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
My 64 1/2 is sqweeking all the time and my car "jumps" when I hit the smallest bump. I've had the car for 5 years and want to restore the front and rear suspension as close to original as possible, does not have to be NOS as long as the parts are the same as original.

Even NOS parts will not always be the same as original. Rather than a kit thing your going to have to go through each piece (possible that all of your parts don't need replacing) to find the best of each. Kits typically are inexpensive items thrown together to offer the most competative price - not a focus on being correct ;)

What can be bought in a kit and what should be bought specific to the car? I've read that springs should be ordered based on engine type and accessories installed, so for my car that is a 260 with a/c and power steering, I should order springs specific to this, correct? Any other suspension parts that are specific based on the car like springs?

Springs, shocks, brake size and sway bar would be the items tailored to individual applications sometimes shared with other applications some times not.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
Front springs and sway bars are not usually a problem and don't really need to be replaced. I still have the originals on my 66 Hardtop with 196,000 miles and 66 K Fastback with 79,000 miles. Tires, shocks and, to a lesser extent, brakes, can cause the problems you describe. They need to be replaced on a regular basis.
A word of caution - the front coil springs are under a LOT of compression. Do some research about their removal and installation. I worked in a gas station a long time ago that had a fatality from springs striking the mechanic in the chest.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline koski19

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
Front springs and sway bars are not usually a problem and don't really need to be replaced. I still have the originals on my 66 Hardtop with 196,000 miles and 66 K Fastback with 79,000 miles. Tires, shocks and, to a lesser extent, brakes, can cause the problems you describe. They need to be replaced on a regular basis.
A word of caution - the front coil springs are under a LOT of compression. Do some research about their removal and installation. I worked in a gas station a long time ago that had a fatality from springs striking the mechanic in the chest.
Jim
+1 . The front coils and swaybar would be the last thing I would consider replacing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
If the prime problem is squeaking start by greasing the upper contol arms. That is the prime squeak point in those cars.

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Here are several  kits available from CJ Pony Parts:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme-front-steering-and-suspension-kit-8-cylinder-power-steering-1965-1966/p/SUSK4/
http://www.cjponyparts.com/kyb-shock-kit-excel-g-1965-1970/p/KYBK1/
http://www.cjponyparts.com/5-leaf-spring-kit-1964-1966/p/LSK4/

Offer free shipping too. Those links should get you going into the right direction.

Unfortunately  not much of what was shown in those links should be on a concours car unless you want to rack up the deductions :(

Perfect example of what we were talking about  - no kit is going to work for this application - ;)

KYB's don't even look close to original shocks

Front tie rods aren't even close, Sway bar end links are the wrong finish - bushings are bright red, just about all of the suspension parts appear to be powder coated or at least paint so there is maybe 4 + hours of refinishing. Plus zert fittings in all the parts that shouldn't have zert fittings ;)

Re springs - too many leaves, ends of the leaves are shaped differently that factory as well as the clamps - Betting they are coated or painted so they will require disassembly, refinishing and then you'll still loose points

Allot of wrong for $900 isn't it??
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »
Right, looks like if I want to stay original, I'll need to go with NOS or service replacement parts. Here's some I'm seeing on eBay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-65-66-Mustang-Inner-and-Outer-Tie-Rods-and-Sleeves-FoMoCo-/380740356856?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a5e4caf8&vxp=mtr

Problem is, I'm not sure what needs to be replaced. The squeaking aside, the front suspension doesn't feel sound when I hit minor road bumps, it feels very harsh. Would it help if I posted some pictures of the suspension components on my car? How much can be diagnosed visually?

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
Chris
First off you need to determine what you want to do with the car and then tell us.
If you want to restore it and show it then fine, go for the all original correct stuff and pay what it takes to get it.
If you want to drive it then just put some quality replacement pieces in there and save the original parts as examples of what was in there and correct.

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
In the add - those are service replacements - compare the back side of the tie rods (machine steel) verses original which were stamp steel and shaped differently

From ad

From an original car

Problem is, I'm not sure what needs to be replaced. The squeaking aside, the front suspension doesn't feel sound when I hit minor road bumps, it feels very harsh. Would it help if I posted some pictures of the suspension components on my car? How much can be diagnosed visually?

Since you can drive the car you can at least tell if many of the parts are still solid or have wear. If its things like torn boots (tie rods and ball joints - you can have just those pieces replaced.  Now how long any piece is good after inspection is going to be a guess but checking for any looseness, clean and regrease will go a long way in keeping the passable parts in service especially in the limited mileage situations most of our cars face today

Tire wear also will help in the inspection since uneven will suggest wear in certain areas or a specific side.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:18:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
I would like to get the car restored to a point that I can show it versus it being just a daily driver. The engine has already been done to this level, now I'm moving on to the suspension.

I will take some pictures of the suspension once I get it on the lift this weekend and post them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
I would like to get the car restored to a point that I can show it versus it being just a daily driver. The engine has already been done to this level, now I'm moving on to the suspension.

I will take some pictures of the suspension once I get it on the lift this weekend and post them.

Thanks for the clarification - in case we needed one based on what site you were asking the question on ;)

Since we'll be shifting to specifically a 65 focus why not start a new thread in the 65-66 section with the pictures and we can go from there.

Good luck with the effort - we're here to help
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 01:20:53 AM »
I can restore your original suspension & steering pieces if they are not badly pitted. If I can help you can give me a call or shoot me an email.
Thanks,
David Davis
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com