Author Topic: Wire wheel cover identification  (Read 1671 times)

Offline C5ZZ

Wire wheel cover identification
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Is this the correct wire wheel cover that was used on 64 1/2 Mustangs?
Were they used on 65's also?
The more common wire wheel cover had the blue center, was it introduced on the 66's?
This one and two others came off a friends 65 conv that I got in a parts lot
after his car was restored.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Wire wheel cover identification
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
Yes, available as an option.  Same cover used on other Ford's and I believe there is a 15"version.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
There are two versions of the wire wheel cover for 64 1/2. This one and the one with the center that is raised a couple of inches more out (version often referred to as the chariot style as it extends the spinner out a good bit). I believe the one shown is the earlier of the two and not the version you see offered as reproduction these days.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:16:54 AM »
That cap is what is known as the "Falcon Wire Wheel Spinner Cap", There was also a "Standard" Mustang wire wheel cover available as well, and utilized the same sized, same spinner, but stuck out more, as the Falcon Wire Wheel hubcap was more "sunk-in".  Both were available for and on 1964 1/2 Mustangs. The "Falcon" type cap had more spokes on it and was considerably different.

Here is a thread last year on it:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/665402-rough-first-trip-down-highway.html

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:55:50 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but my question does relate directly to "Wire wheel cover identification".
I have an opportunity to buy some wire wheel covers on craigslist. They are reportedly original and would be an 'ok' buy if really original, but from the pictures could use some work.
Were the original wire covers chrome or stainless steel? I'm seeing reproductions that are stainless. Whether or not the covers are magnetic might tell me if they are original. Anyone have stainless steel reproductions and know if they are magnetic?

I understand that there is a ford part number on the under side of the spinner. Anyone know if that's true and a way to ID as original?
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »
i could not help but notice your signature. what is a 65 "LX'? that term did not come into use until the Fox body cars were out.
5F09C331248

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
i could not help but notice your signature. what is a 65 "LX'? that term did not come into use until the Fox body cars were out.

My CA registration shows it that way. It's a coupe with luxury interior, A/C, etc. I've updated my signature to avoid confusion...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:40:11 PM by TonyFio »
Tony Fiorenza

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
Were the original wire covers chrome or stainless steel? I'm seeing reproductions that are stainless. Whether or not the covers are magnetic might tell me if they are original. Anyone have stainless steel reproductions and know if they are magnetic?
They should be aluminum (which is non-magnetic).
I understand that there is a ford part number on the under side of the spinner. Anyone know if that's true and a way to ID as original?
I believe the only ID is a paper tag. The Ford part number should NOT have a "Z" in the fourth position.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but my question does relate directly to "Wire wheel cover identification".
I have an opportunity to buy some wire wheel covers on craigslist. T
Post the link. It's helps in identifying the part.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »
Here's the link:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/la-palma-mustang-oem-14-wire-wheel/7291292204.html

I went ahead an bought them. There's a 'C5' number visible. It was ink stamped. I'll clean them up and hope I didn't throw money away.

I just saw that the seller has removed the posting.
Tony Fiorenza

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »
You will find drawings of wheel coverings in the Library in each of the "ConcoursMustang.com Official xx (insert a year) Mustang Article List" topic is 1965-72 MPC. Try Section 1000.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 11:05:25 PM »
Thanks Jim.
Tony Fiorenza