Author Topic: '67 Quarter Vent Air Grille Assembly  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Angela

'67 Quarter Vent Air Grille Assembly
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Two questions:
(1) Is there supposed to be some kind of seal or gasket between the body-color air extractor grille (C7ZB-6328OB62-3) and the body? If not, I'm wondering how the factory kept the grille from damaging the paint on the body, or visa versa.

(2) Is EVERYTHING behind the exterior body color grille supposed to be black? There is a metal screen as well as a plastic baffles between the body color grile and the body. I know the body is supposed to be blacked out behind the grille, thus I assume the screen and baffle should be as well, but I don't know that for sure.

Offline 67gta289

Re: '67 Quarter Vent Air Grille Assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
I did a search in order to prevent a new duplicate post  8) - but no answer to this one?  I'm at the same point - need to know the finish of the screen (C7ZB-63280B28-9) and baffle ( C7ZB-63278C54-5).  The body manual does not specify.  Also, the body manual specifies that the "depression" in which the 3 part quarter vent assembly is mounted should be finished with black out paint.  Is that correct?  Any differences between plants?  Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
......... Also, the body manual specifies that the "depression" in which the 3 part quarter vent assembly is mounted should be finished with black out paint.  Is that correct? 

Remember the subject coming up before have to remember when and where

As for the body black out - anyone have an original example (picture) haven't seen that in my travels on 67's that I recall Maybe another assembly manual mistake.

Checked - didn't find any pictures with it blacked out on 67's any of the plants
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
I am restoring and unmolested early San Jose 67 GT fastback.  The quarter vents came off with no seals or gaskets.  The flat aluminum grill directly behind the exterior piece was body color as if painted already on the car.   Only having color on the areas exposed thru the exterior grille.  The cast diffusor (the inner washboard looking piece) was completely black with no overspray. 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
First, welcome to the site (noticed that it is your first post). 

1. The screen (C7ZB-63280B28-9) is body color (assuming in your example the body color is not black ;) ) What color primer, if any, was in the area that did not have body color?
2. The diffuser (C7ZB-63278C54-5) is black with no overspray.  Is this a flat, semi, or full gloss?  Sprayed or brushed?
3. What about the depression in the quarter panel - body color or blackout?  If black - flat, semi, or full gloss? Sprayed or brushed?

Of course pictures would be fantastic!

Thanks for sharing. John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
I am restoring and unmolested early San Jose 67 GT fastback.  The quarter vents came off with no seals or gaskets.  The flat aluminum grill directly behind the exterior piece was body color as if painted already on the car.  .............

Feel real comfortable reporting to you that the grills were not on the uni-body when the car was painted ;) Must be another reason for what your reporting if I understand your post correctly.

And of course welcome to the site. - as mentioned pictures would help illustrate what your seeing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
Feel real comfortable reporting to you that the grills were not on the uni-body when the car was painted

Good point Jeff.  Knowing that the grille was painted off the body, I had jumped to the conclusion that perhaps, if this is indeed a "factory" example, that the screen and outer grill was painted together as an assembly. 

Then again, if this is "one of one" example, we need more before saying anything is definitive.

With all the "Earl Shieb" paint jobs in the 70's (painted on car), it is hard to think that there are not more examples we can get.  Unfortunately I did not take pictures of mine when done the first time around in 1981.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Hello, sorry for the late reply,.....I agree that they were painted as a assembly and not on the unibody,...I need to choose my words better.  Attached is a picture of the grille, and the diffuser, and the body opening.
1.  The screen is body color where the paint reached.  Primer looked to be light tan with slight pink hue?
2.  Black diffuser showed no over spray and had a sprayed, semi-gloss/satin finish.   no brush marks or heavy drips at the edges or corners to indicate dipping.
3.  The body depression was body color over some heavily applied seam sealer

Hope pics show up ok.