Author Topic: Engine enamel - Rattle can Question  (Read 18909 times)

st9mach1

Re: Enigne enamel - Rattle can Question
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
In reference to baflstangobx.... is the PPG13385 a spray enamel from a rattle can? Thanks...st9mach1

st9mach1

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
Also, what about these Mustang vendors engine paints? Nobody has mentioned them. I have painted engines in the past with engine enamel from a Mustang vendor and had the paint to turn out exceptional and hold up to the heat of the engine. But, the big drawback there is if you need to do touch-up say a year later,the vendor you bought the spray enamel from don't have it no more, and then your stuck,,,,because then you are trying to match the paint, and it's darn near impossible...But, like I say, I have used Mustang vendor spray engine enamel with pretty good results.....st9mach1

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »
In reference to baflstangobx.... is the PPG13385 a spray enamel from a rattle can? Thanks...st9mach1

DAR 13358 is an acrylic enamel and would have to be mixed with proper catalyst and reducer before spraying with a paint gun.

If you go to a paint store, they could probably mix up some and put it in an aerosol can.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline baflstangobx

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
st9mach,
The PPG is as Charles stated is a professional product and I have no idea why we mentioned it since most of us are just abnormal, paint fume inhaling idiots.  It, in my opinion is the most accurate formula available.  I get the best results, particularly for driven cars, when I use Epoxy Primer underneath (DP-74).  It does not allow the color to fade as bad and is a great adhesion promoter.  It is also another professional product and requires mixing with catalyst, reducer, etc.  If you choose this route I cannot over emphasize the application of the color.  DONOT load it up as many seem to do with rattle cans!  This will run like a GPS thief on crack cocaine.  Give great attention to flash times and I assure you that your engine will look every bit as good or better than your body!

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »
Bill Cabaniss, I'm glad to here the Delstar 13358 worked well for you. It's great stuff for both durability and color match. Like all automotive paint if you are trying to match a 40 year old finish you will likely need to tint it to compensate for 40 years of aging. If you are doing a complete 13358 is the original Ford Corporate Blue mix formula. It's the green tint in the formula that gives it the look.   

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
st9mach,
The PPG is as Charles stated is a professional product and I have no idea why we mentioned it since most of us are just abnormal, paint fume inhaling idiots.  It, in my opinion is the most accurate formula available.  I get the best results, particularly for driven cars, when I use Epoxy Primer underneath (DP-74).  It does not allow the color to fade as bad and is a great adhesion promoter.  It is also another professional product and requires mixing with catalyst, reducer, etc.  If you choose this route I cannot over emphasize the application of the color.  DONOT load it up as many seem to do with rattle cans!  This will run like a GPS thief on crack cocaine.  Give great attention to flash times and I assure you that your engine will look every bit as good or better than your body!

Bill, I'm very sorry I forgot to tell you to wear a respirator when spraying Delstar Acrylic enamel.
 ;D   

Offline baflstangobx

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
That explains the blue stains on my pillowcase that look like the Holy Grail.  Also when I sneeze it looks like another medium wet coat.  LMAO

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

Bill, I'm very sorry I forgot to tell you to wear a respirator when spraying Delstar Acrylic enamel.
 ;D   

Bob, Don't give away our trade secrets like that!

Regards,
CPM

Offline RogerArrick

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
The Plastikote 224 matched my original valve covers best
Jan 23, 1968 built Coupe w/289, 2V, C4, PS, AC

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Bill Cabaniss, I'm glad to here the Delstar 13358 worked well for you. It's great stuff for both durability and color match. Like all automotive paint if you are trying to match a 40 year old finish you will likely need to tint it to compensate for 40 years of aging. If you are doing a complete 13358 is the original Ford Corporate Blue mix formula. It's the green tint in the formula that gives it the look.   

;D   

Paint store today says no more Delstar, these numbers only good in OMNI

Any other updates to these formulas?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RoyceP

Re: Engine enamel - Rattle can Question
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
The original one is faded. The darker one is the correct shade as it looked when new. If you wanted to simulate 51 year old faded paint then match the old one.

Here is a before and after of my valve covers on my 68 SJ built (Jan 68) J code coupe.  On the left is original and on the right is Duplicolor 1606.

The more I look at it the more it looks too dark.  I have also painted the air cleaner and I think that is what made me think it was too dark.

I wanted to try the Plastikote 224 for comparison but the closest store that carries it is about 25 miles from here and when I went yesterday someone had just cleaned them out. :'(
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock