Author Topic: Drive shaft question  (Read 1013 times)

Offline willy001

Drive shaft question
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Here's the car, 69 Sportsroof, S code, 4 speed, Oct 24 San Jose build. The car was missing the drive shaft and I am on the hunt for the correct piece.
My searches here and elsewhere for the correct drive shaft and paint stripes have left me scratching my head, but I may have an answer. The master parts catalog calls out the same drive shaft assembly for the 69 S code 4 speed as the 69 Boss 302. Is there any evidence one way or the other that would confirm or dispute that these 2 cars indeed used the same drive shaft?
1969 GT Sportsroof
390 S code
4 speed
AC, PS, PB
San Jose 10/24/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drive shaft question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »
The challenge IMHO is that the Master Parts Catalog list what driveline will fit the two applications that Ford carried at the time the catalog was printed. Not always/often does this mean that originally they used the same driveline

Went through my files and I didn't have any 69 390 buildsheets to compare with the Boss ones I have. Figured that if the stripes match we might have a confirmation. The older MPC's I have predate the Boss 302 release so they are of no help :(

Since the measurements (length) would be the same did compare the 428 drivelines and the Boss 302 and found those were different drivelines at the factory as was just about every other application even though the length would have been the same or similar in the car ( same trans, rear end....)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline willy001

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Rats ...

Thanks for looking Jeff. I was hoping there was an easy answer.
The quest continues ...
1969 GT Sportsroof
390 S code
4 speed
AC, PS, PB
San Jose 10/24/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
My guess right now is they may interchange but are not shaped nor designed the same
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)