Author Topic: PaceCar Report #2  (Read 1378 times)

Offline husker boxster

PaceCar Report #2
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
I know I have PaceCar Report #1 below, but that thread is jinxed, so I don't want to add to it.  Read on...

Last yr I wanted to get my PC ready to sell at the 2013 Mecum auction in KC.  I had a long list of things to do.  Got a break in the winter weather, so I cleaned her up and posted some pics in Report 1.  The next day I came down with the flu, had it bad for 7 days, lost 12 lbs by not eating, and laid on the couch the whole time.  3 wks later I encountered a severe pain in my back on the left side.  Was treated as bronchitis.  2 wks later the pain came in my right side.  Got some stronger medicine, it went away.  2 wks later the pain returned to my left side.  After some chest x-rays and a CT scan, I was immediately admitted to the hosptial with a blood clot in ea lung.  They said I was very lucky.  They subsequently found a 3rd in my left leg.  Spent 6 days in the hospital and 7 mo taking rat poison (coumadin) to keep from creating any new clots.  Got off the rat poison in Oct and have been clot free.

So my quest to get ready for the 2014 KC Mecum auction began.  I've done the following:

- replaced the carb, but still have the orig that will go with the sale
- plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor
- while testing the new carb, the water pump shot craps.  wasn't happy about that but was thankful it didn't happen on the drive to KC.
- replace the timing belt, heater hoses, thermostat, and antifreeze
- just got her back from a mechanic who replaced the valve guide seals, tracked down some vacuum leaks, and converted the AC to the new stuff

That completed my To Do list.  She's ready to go and is running great.  It will be hard to part with her since I bought her in Oct '79.  The original owner had bought her new 3 mo earlier and put 6K mi on.  She now has 78K mi 34 yrs later.  She's in great shape for her age.  The seats are a bit dirty in the white sections, but the boltsers are not worn out.  The back seats look brand new.  Not long after I bought her (I was a JR in college), I had her Ziebarted, so there's 0 rust.  She's spent a majority of her life in a garage.  I have the fan shroud, just haven't replaced it after working on the front of the motor.

I started looking at the instructions for signing up for the auction.  I was hoping to buy a slot during the Fri evening TV coverage.  Yes it would cost a bit more ($750) but you'd probably have a large group of ppl attending at that time.  Unfortunately they have value limits for their various time slots.  The Fri TV slot is for $30K+ cars.  The Fri afternoon and night slots were also out of the question (don't remember the exact value but it was prob $15 or $20K).  I don't qualify for any slots on Sat either.  So maybe I could make the Thu TV slot.  Not too interested in Thu because there may not be a lot of buyers, but beggars can't be choosers.  But Thu TV requires a $15K value.  Shut out there too.  So my only options are Thu afternoon or Thu night.  I'm going to go Thu night at a cost of $350.  Think I'll set the reserve at $7500 or $8000 and see what happens.

I need to get signed up by Wed to get in their catalog (or something).  But the sooner I register, the better exposure I get.  Hope there are at least 2 bidders in Apr.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:24:31 AM by husker boxster »

Offline bluemax

Re: PaceCar Report #2
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
Nice example of a fairly rare car. Always hate to use the word "rare", but you just don't see too many turbo pace car's.  ::)

A bit of advice, you need to pay attention to the details (lots of cleaning) to get top dollar. That being said, I would work really hard on trying to clean the seats.

Good Luck at the auction!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:30:32 AM by bluemax »

Offline husker boxster

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Thx, good advice.  I've tried several cleaners but to no avail.  I've found you have to be careful not to get the black to bleed into the white.  I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something they've done that was successful.  I've even thought about maybe removing the seats and take them to a dry cleaners.  IDK but they currently are the biggest distraction.  Luckily I have some time between now and late Apr to look for a solution.

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
Hope you do well
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6