Author Topic: Pitted rear springs  (Read 2654 times)

Offline 69eliminator

Pitted rear springs
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
The rear springs on my car are very pitted. I put them in evapo rust and they are clean but extremely pitted. Any suggestions on how to remove deep pits.   should I consider replacing and keeping the bottom with numbers.. Thanks
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pitted rear springs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Removing deep pits equals removing metal and if they are deep I think that choice is not the best

You can swap out for another fairly rust free set from the south west or calif and swap in (your still pitted short leaf)  but of course the rating of the spring will be either slightly off or more.

Reproductions with swapping the short leaf will work if you can find a set made for the car but you'll need to confirm that they are not shaped (friction disc recesses  - and the leaf ends) different from the originals
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
Just received my replacement springs and they are nowhere close to the originals. Anyone have any leads on where to buy used Cougar springs?
thanks,
brian
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
Just received my replacement springs and they are nowhere close to the originals. Anyone have any leads on where to buy used Cougar springs?
thanks,
brian

Not sure where you would find good used ones rated for CJ and or Competition handling. Cougar leaf springs are very long, and prone to sagging after a normal lifetime. Lifetime being 15-25 years?

We sell the ESPO springs, which yield a decent rear ride height compared to the other common brand of springs. Which ones did you buy?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
Scott,
Not sure of the brand but they came from MU. Square edges and nothing like the originals
Dearborn 6/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
The rear springs on my car are very pitted. I put them in evapo rust and they are clean but extremely pitted. Any suggestions on how to remove deep pits.   should I consider replacing and keeping the bottom with numbers.. Thanks
Something to keep in mind is what the bottom leaf will look like compared to the other different sourced leafs it is mated to. I inspected a car recently where the different leafs look nice but the bottom leaf that was transferred was very pitted and stood out. The owner then decided to grind and polish out the pits on the bottom leaf until the surface was smooth . It was too smooth now and the bottom leaf still stood outbut this time because it looked like it was a super smooth surgical instrument compared to the normal rough finish of even a fresh made spring.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby