Author Topic: Reusing Original Tie Rods  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Reusing Original Tie Rods
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
If the tie rod end is still good it can be reused.
Just to elaborate- Good = no play when moving the stud by hand. If any clearance or "wiggle" at all it is not worth using. Many times they are still good just check. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
The humidity cure properties is something to consider, I wonder if steam would accelerate the process.
Jim
Yes, steam or any water mist is what Permatex suggested to accelerate the process. Even using a water spray bottle (emptied/cleaned out spray cleaner bottle, or the likes) and re-spraying as the moisture dries out was one solution they suggested. I know one of the hardest part of restoring is "waiting", so anything to speed things up ;)

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
i saw a post recently (by Jeff, I believe) on processes used to refinish tie rods. I've looked again for it, but am lost and cannot seem to find it. Anybody know where it is? (photos were also showing some of the results & techniques)

Richard you'll find the article labeled - Natural Finishes- Reproducing, in the Library here in each f the sections by year.  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »
Richard you'll find the article labeled - Natural Finishes- Reproducing, in the Library here in each f the sections by year.  ;)

Duh! I looked in the library under my cars year...read the titles and skipped right over it. Thanks Jeff ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments