Author Topic: Repainting Exterior Trim Black, '90 7-UP  (Read 1681 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Repainting Exterior Trim Black, '90 7-UP
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
Hi guys, I usually tend to stay more towards first generation Mustangs, but my daily driver for a while has been a '90 7-UP.  It's one of the 1500 built with the 5-speed.  When I was at Charlotte this past weekend for the 50th Anniversary show, I ran across a 24k mile original 7-UP car.  Looking at it, I realized how much the black exterior trim on my car has faded over the years.  Areas like the windshield pillars, the cowl panel plastic, and the rear luggage rack are really starting to show their age.

I was a little surprised at the gloss of the black on the original car.  I expected it to be more like a satin or semi-flat black, but it actually had a little shine to it, more like semi-gloss.  Can anyone steer me towards a good match for the factory exterior black?  I can have the paint custom mixed locally, but I don't want to stray from what the car looked like new, and I don't want to get into experimenting with paints and sheen/gloss until I find the right combination.  A good chassis black would probably come fairly close, but most of the ones I've seen don't have enough gloss, and I'm not sure how they would hold up to UV rays from being out in the sunlight constantly.  Has anyone successfully found a match for what the factory used originally?  I'm fine with aerosols, or I can paint it with my paint gun if need be.

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Repainting Exterior Trim Black, '90 7-UP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »
Here's a picture of the 24k mile car I'm talking about.  It was absolutely stunning.  You can see in the pictures how the paint on the luggage rack and other areas isn't quite satin black, but it's not full on gloss either.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:55:48 AM »
for that application i would use SEM trim black # 39143. it also comes in quarts. an excellent patch. originally the trim was not primed. i lightly scuff with a red pad then use green etching primer just dusting a coat on.
5F09C331248

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
for that application i would use SEM trim black # 39143. it also comes in quarts. an excellent patch. originally the trim was not primed. i lightly scuff with a red pad then use green etching primer just dusting a coat on.

Thanks, I looked at some samples, and that looks pretty much dead on.  That's what I'll end up going with.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
While the SEM trim black is the correct color, I am told it does not hold up well to the elements. After a year here in CA it will start to look faded and you will need to revive it with something.  Some of the vert. metal trim may have had some better paint or powder coat. I just noticed the trim on the rear seat is starting to peel on my 89 car.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS