Author Topic: Emissions Decal - 69 NJ 428CJ  (Read 9198 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Emissions Decal - 69 NJ 428CJ
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »
     Does a early 69, 428 Mach 1, 9T02R, get an emissions decal in the engine compartment ?  If so; should it be the C8OE-9C485-C version and where is it applied ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:40:12 PM by J_Speegle »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jimhib

Re: Emissions Decal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:47:14 AM »
  My Nov. 68 car has the original on the drivers side valve cover just below the plug wire loom.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:57 AM »
   I'm not home now but thinking about it, the decal on the valve cover has the ignition info. If that's the wrong sticker then the other one is on the firewall more towards the passenger side.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:31:56 AM »
So a chrome valve cover car ..

The emission/timing striker goes on the drivers side valve cover as mentioned above.  It was applied at the engine plant so where the car was built doesn't come into play in answering this question. But thanks for including it anyway ;)  Same location fro a 390 also

Only the service decal goes on the  drivers side  shock tower

You didn't include when your car was built and it appears there are a few different trends (with the service decal) depending on the time period )

Of course many owners have copied other cars from other plants and builds - see them all the time on the internet and at shows :(

Couple of pictures to help illustrate

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
quote jimhib
   I'm not home now but thinking about it, the decal on the valve cover has the ignition info. If that's the wrong sticker then the other one is on the firewall more towards the passenger side.
      Thank you Jim.  The valve cover decal is the one I would like to know the part number from.  Yes: That decal has the rpm idle settings.  What info does your decal have; decal number and rpm settings ?  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
[quote J_Speegle
So a chrome valve cover car ..   

The emission/timing striker goes on the drivers side valve cover as mentioned above.  It was applied at the engine plant so where the car was built doesn't come into play in answering this question. But thanks for including it anyway ;)  Same location fro a 390 also

Only the service decal goes on the  drivers side  shock tower

You didn't include when your car was built and it appears there are a few different trends (with the service decal) depending on the time period )

Of course many owners have copied other cars from other plants and builds - see them all the time on the internet and at shows :(

Yes; OE chrome valve covers.  Would the valve covers also have a date stamp ?
Service decal was not part of my question but is vertical on the left shock tower.
The build date for my car is located in my signature.
The oil filler cap in the pictures has a plastic elbow.  Is that OE correct or should it be the metal elbow ?     Thanks,  Brian

Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
Brian:
    The original valve covers for my car have a date stamp just behind the filler cap on the drivers side. Not deep but visible. Mine also has no decal on the drivers side shock tower as I've seen on some cars. My build date was Nov 18, 1968. Also I'm the original owner.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
Yes; OE chrome valve covers.  Would the valve covers also have a date stamp ?

As mentioned above yes like most stamped steel parts. The plating like paint can make some a little difficult to read but on others its pretty easy.

The oil filler cap in the pictures has a plastic elbow.  Is that OE correct or should it be the metal elbow ?     Thanks,  Brian

The metal verses plastic elbow has been something tossed back and forth over the years. Looking at my collection of pictures the very early cars like your all have the metal elbow on them (9T102221, 9T102871, 9T119655)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:59:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Emissions Decal - 69 NJ 428CJ
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
There are two versions of this emission sticker for '69, early and late.  I don't recall the changeover date and am not home to look it up but my guess would be your car should have the early one.  I think the suffix letter changes at some point (as do the specs); for example, from -A to -B or -B to -C (don't recall which).
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
quote jimhib
Brian:
    The original valve covers for my car have a date stamp just behind the filler cap on the drivers side. Not deep but visible. Mine also has no decal on the drivers side shock tower as I've seen on some cars. My build date was Nov 18, 1968. Also I'm the original owner.

Thanks Jim.  The Marti/built date for my car is Sept. 19, 1968 .  A month earlier than yours and from the same plant.  Because you are the original owner and If you don't mind sharing;
1.  What is the date stamped on your chrome valve covers.
2.  Do you have a chrome oil filler cap ? 
3.  Does the oil filler cap, if chrome, have a plastic or metal elbow?

Rockhouse is correct about the different emissions stickers.  The early sticker C8OE-9C485-C  shows idle settings; 650 for autos and 700 for manuals.
                                                                                       The later sticker  C9OE-9C485-D  shows idle settings; 550 for autos and 700 for manuals

Thanks for all the Help.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 12:55:58 AM »
Brian:
      I'm in Anchorage for the next few weeks but I'll have Mike look at my covers and let you know, possibly post a flick. My filler cap is Chrome, the elbow plastic, both came with the car.

Jim

Offline mjgraniero

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
Brian:
      I'm in Anchorage for the next few weeks but I'll have Mike look at my covers and let you know, possibly post a flick. My filler cap is Chrome, the elbow plastic, both came with the car.

Jim

Here are some photos of Jim's valve covers. I'll post a few more as soon as these load
1969 Mustang Fastback (in restoration)
428CJ, Ram Air
C-6
9F02R

Offline mjgraniero

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
More photos...  If you need any more, let me know.
1969 Mustang Fastback (in restoration)
428CJ, Ram Air
C-6
9F02R

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
 author=jimhib
Brian:

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Looks like; Nov. 1968 chrome and plastic.  Valve covers dated 10 3 D3 and ? 12 D2.  Emissions decal; 650 rpm for autos and 700 rpm for manuals and most likely the C8OE-9C485-C emissions decal.                                              Thank you Mike for the photos.  Brian
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:37:31 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
More photos...  If you need any more, let me know.

Thanks for posting - do you happen to know the real build date of the car and or when the engine was assembled. That might help narrow down the plastic verses metal application. ;)

That's an odd place (looking at all the other examples)  for the service decal to be placed on a NJ car - thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle