Author Topic: Seedy Consignment Sales Locations/Shops  (Read 2197 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Seedy Consignment Sales Locations/Shops
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:05:30 PM »
Not sure what i would suggest other than keeping your eyes and ears open for signs of impending doom and stories about the owner, business and sale people. As well as protect your self every way possible. I seem to inspect my fair share of cars at locations like this since owners often feel protected since the location keeps their address somewhat hidden and purchasers or their agents don't get to see the buildings as well as any other vehicles the owner might have.

The story is of a Camaro owner but could be any one of us and since the car was sold to a foreign buyer not sure all the legal issues - That would wreck your day  :(

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/2-investigates-more-victims-sought-in-classic-car/vCPG8G/

Know at least one of our members purchases a car from this place - as I looked at it for a couple of buyers. The story srroundign that purcahse was not as ugly as the one in the News report above

Heads up out there
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:12:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Re: Seedy Consignment Sales Locations/Shops
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  Same thing goes for Buying a car, as for Ford cars and trucks, ALWAYS insist on a Marti Report, if available.  Trying to track down 1968 California Specials for the Registry, I have talked to several dealers trying to sell Clones and advertised as "The Real Deal".  Do your research, ask for a Marti Report, and have the car inspected if you can by a qualified expert on the Marque you are looking to buy.  JMHO.   Just to document these Clones, I have started adding them to the Registry as CLONES to help future buyers make an informed decision. 
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Same thing goes for Buying a car, as for Ford cars and trucks, ALWAYS insist on a Marti Report, if available.  Trying to track down 1968 California Specials for the Registry, I have talked to several dealers trying to sell Clones and advertised as "The Real Deal".  Do your research, ask for a Marti Report, and have the car inspected if you can by a qualified expert on the Marque you are looking to buy.  JMHO.   Just to document these Clones, I have started adding them to the Registry as CLONES to help future buyers make an informed decision.

I agree.  The same goes for Cougar Eliminators ~ many clones out there, and some are very well done.  I also have a file of Eliminator CLONES, as the same ones seem to pop up regularly.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Jeff:
I'm asking this as you may know the legal issues.  Why not have the original owner go after the new buyer, claiming the car was stolen?  Or claim it on insurance?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Jeff:
I'm asking this as you may know the legal issues.  Why not have the original owner go after the new buyer, claiming the car was stolen?  Or claim it on insurance?

Likely what the owner is currently doing - though as mentioned its going to be complicated since the car was purchased and already in Canada

As far as insurance I'm unsure of how they look at all the legal stuff and possible power of attorney many of these consignment shops have you sign so that they can do the deal and not have you return multiple times.

Devils in the details
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »
This scheme was common after the US economy collapsed in 07 with a few twists.  Car dealers took in trades from new car buyers which had outstanding loans and never paid them off, leaving the former owner owing the money to his or her original lender.  As I recall, the dealer would take a corporate bankruptcy and list the former owner as a creditor. I don't remember any dealers or their agents being charged with a crime.  It became a civil matter between the former car owner and his her original creditor.

I don't think the poor fellow with the Camaro has any claim because he signed over his title to the car to the race driver. It became a civil business matter at that point with the Camaro owner assuming all the risk. A wiser way to have handled the transaction was for the Camaro owner to keep title and surrender it upon cash receipt at the time of sale and for him to pay the race driver his 10 percent on the spot. The car would be insured at that point as well under the buyers policy. Another way would have been to have a national escrow company hold title to the car, similar to  home sale.  Of course the race car driver would have been insulted by these suggestions. 

It would be advisable for a buyer of such a car to pay a private detective, usually they are retired police officers,  to background check the chain of ownership and current title.  There are circumstances involving probate, bankruptcies, or civil judgments which could cloud the title. It is possible that even after the new buyer registers the car there could be a claim to the car and the buyer could lose the car in court. It happens all the time.

There are car title insurance companies which say that they will guarantee title and defend under these circumstances. I have read the fine print and these policies all state that there is no coverage for facts unknown to the insurance company at the time the policy is issued. However, this term and condition most likely would be overruled by a judge because the policy owners sole purpose for purchasing the policy would be for unknown title hazards. However, the insurance company, if they are still in business, would stonewall payment for years using appeals and other legal maneuvers.

A friend had his Porsche stolen almost 40 years ago and he is still looking for it. He looks for cars like the one he lost for sale and gets the VIN#. If he see's the car and it has that little ding, dent, or tear or stain that he knows about, I feel sorry for the seller because he will most likely lose the car in court through no fault of his own.

Most of the buyers of collectable cars get screwed on condition issues.  Finding an honest car for a fair price is not that easy because there are very few for sale.  That is the reason why cars from a well known collection sell for big bucks at auction.